Five Gems From a Moving Speech Celebrating Black Power
"Black lives matter," said Grey's Anatomy star Jesse Williams in his acceptance speech at BET Awards on Sunday. Williams who accepted the Humanitarian Award, paid tribute to police shooting victims. "We are going to have equal rights and justice in our own country, or we will restructure their function and ours," he said. Here are the five moving and compelling things that Williams said in his address:
1. Freedom is somehow always conditional here. "You’re free," they keep telling us, "but she would have been alive if she hadn’t acted so free." Now, freedom is always coming in the hereafter. But you know what, though? The hereafter is a hustle. We want it now.
2. I don’t want to hear anymore about how far we’ve come, when paid public servants can pull a drive-by on a 12-year-old playing alone in a park in broad daylight, killing him on television and then going home to make a sandwich. Tell Rekia Boyd how it’s so much better to live in 2012 than it is to live in 1612 or 1712. Tell that to Eric Garner. Tell that to Sandra Bland. Tell that to Darrien Hunt.
3. We know that police somehow manage to de-escalate, disarm and not kill white people every day. So what’s going to happen is we are going to have equal rights and justice in our own country, or we will restructure their function and ours.
4. The burden of the brutalized is not to comfort the bystander. That’s not our job. All right? Stop with all that. If you have a critique for the resistance, for our resistance, then you better have an established record of critique of our oppression. If you have no interest—if you have no interest in equal rights for black people, then do not make suggestions to those who do. Sit down.
5. We’ve been floating this country on credit for centuries, yo, and we’re done watching and waiting while this invention called whiteness uses and abuses us...the thing is that just because we’re magic doesn’t mean we’re not real.
Watch the full speech here .
- What Next After Ayodhya? How Constructive Will BJP-RSS Gameplan Be?
- First Time In Four Decades, Consumer Spending In India Falls By 3.7%: Report
- Maharashtra: Draft CMP Prepared With Shiv Sena, NCP, Says Congress Leader
- Delhi Continues To Choke On Toxic Air On Last Day Of Odd-Even
- Live - IND v BAN, 1st Test, Day 2: Agarwal Hits Ton, India In Command
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- Bollywood’s Double Whammy For Bald People Is Regressive, Not Cool
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- Ex-Ranbaxy Promoter Malvinder Singh Guilty Of Contempt Of Court: SC
- Sena Will Lead Govt In Maharashtra For Next 25 Years: Sanjay Raut
- BHU Official Booked, Forced To Quit For Removing RSS Flag
- 'Decision Will Be Taken As Per Our Law': Pakistan On Kulbhushan Jadhav Case
- Anything Can Happen In Cricket And Politics: Gadkari On Maha Govt Formation
- Delhi Police Resumes Work At Tis Hazari Court 2 Weeks After Clash With Lawyers
- WATCH: Jayed Removes Kohli For Rare Duck
- ATP Finals: Federer Eliminates Djokovic, Hands Nadal Year-End Number One