Don't Know The 'Eagles of Death Metal'? Here's A Playlist
89 fans of Eagles Of Death Metal were slaughtered by IS gunmen at the Bataclan Concert Hall in Paris on Friday, November 13 as a part of the the series of explosions and shootouts that swept through the French capital killing 129 people and leaving alost 300 injured.
The band from California had just started singing one of their favourites 'Kiss the Devil' when Kalashnikov-weilding gunmen walked in and opened fire.
It cannot yet be determined why the IS chose an Eagles of Death Metal concert to unleash this horror but Slate claimed that it was probably because the name of the band is an oxymoron and
Fundamentalists hate oxymorons. What does not fit into convenient and clear-cut conceptual categories is frightening to them, and must be eliminated. Hence for example the imposition of the most rigid gender roles in fundamentalist societies, which ISIS has elevated to new extremes in the territories under its control.
The original Eagles, led by Don Henley and Glenn Frey, were the quintessential soft-rock outfit, who in 1972 unleashed on the world their painfully mellow hit, “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” This music is the natural and total opposite of death metal, and in this respect to be an “Eagle of death metal” is a conceptual impossibility.
The band is actually associated with the microgenre of “desert rock,” a fairly innocuous variety of fun-loving 1970s-inspired blues rock.
Mashable reports how fans have started a campaign to make their "brilliant version of "Save A Prayer" to the UK No. 1 spot as a show of support to the band and all of those affected."
In case you have never heard some of their music, we put together five of their best:
- Karnataka Crisis: Governor Presses CM Kumaraswamy To Prove Majority By 1:30 PM
- Karnataka BJP Lawmakers Sleep In Assembly To Stage Protest Against Delay In Floor Test
- World Bank 'Drops' Naidu's Ambitious Amaravati Project; Pulls Out $300 Mn
- Analysis | Is Hafiz Saeed's Arrest By Pakistan Mere Cosmetic Move Or There Is More To It?
- Foundation Laid By Previous Govts Will Make India A USD 5 Trillion Economy: Pranab Mukherjee
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- Hafiz Saeed's Arrest: Pakistan Has Enacted Similar Dramas 8 Times Since 2001, Says India
- ICC Suspends Zimbabwe From International Cricket
- Khalistan Agenda, Burning Of Tricolour During Sikh Pilgrimage: India Warns Pakistan
- Cops Didn't Allow Me To Take Father's Body To Srinagar Due To Amarnath Traffic: Kashmiri Govt Official
- Lust, Money & Masala Dosa - When The Stars Didn't Bless Saravana Bhavan Boss P Rajagopal
- Fantasy Cricket Platform Dream11 Not A Betting Site, Says Bombay High Court
- Triple Talaq Petitioner Threatened For Attending Hanuman Chalisa Recital In Hijab
- SunRisers Hyderabad Rope In England's World Cup-Winning Coach Trevor Bayliss