Daily Curator: What Happened to Clean Ganga, Modi Uncle?
Good morning. We begin with some unfortunate news from the breaking category as reports come in of a major bridge collapse on the Mumbai-Goa highway between Mahad and Poladpur. The bridge over the Savitri river reportedly collapsed in the wee hours of Wednesday and 22 people are said to be missing.
While we’re on rivers, an RTI filed by 14-year-old Aishwarya Sharma from Lucknow has revealed that little work has happened in the much-hyped ‘Namami Gange’ project to clean up the Ganga. The student from Class 10 is said to be ‘upset’ with ‘Modi Uncle’ after Rs 2958 crore out of the sanctioned Rs 3703 crore has already been spent.
After giving Maggi the runaround last year, the FSSAI has now sought to ban the silver leaf used in packaging confectionaries. The ‘leaves’ are prepared by beating thin silver strips between the intestines of cows and buffaloes and its now said to be ‘offensive and unhygienic posing potential risk to consumers’.
Gun violence has done its fair share of damage in the US. The Texans though, like their guns, which will now be allowed into college campuses and the state is one of eight in the country allowing this. On the other hand, Apple have removed the revolver emoji and replaced it with a water pistol. Holi Hai! (Sorry)
Apologies, we didn’t get much political today. But here is the Congress, whose right hand is reportedly not agreeable with its left on the GST in Parliament at the moment.
And moving on from the confused to the beleaguered, the BCCI has appointed former SC judge Markandey Katju as the head of a four-member panel to understand the implications of the Lodha recommendations.
Finally, there is this fascinating feature for all you internet geeks. It’s about (arguably) the oldest mailing list in India which goes by the name ‘Silk’.
- 18 Students Of Coaching Class Killed As Massive Fire Engulfs Surat Building
- Narendra Modi: The Bachchan of Screen and Kohli on Field
- Opinion | History Will Judge Modi Govt On How It Handles Critical Issues
- The Rise And Fall Of Pawan Chamling, India’s Longest Serving Chief Minister
- Movie Review | Forget Politics, PM Biopic Tells How Dev Anand Influenced Modi To Take To Sanyas
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May Announces Resignation After Brexit Backlash
- After LS Debacle, Slew Of Resignations On Congress Table; Rahul Too Likely To Quit
- YS Jaganmohan Reddy – Andhra's Giant Killer
- China Welcomes Modi, Imran Khan Exchange Of Greetings
- 'Gear Up For Assembly Polls, We Will Get Majority In J&K,' NC Chief Farooq Abdullah To Party Workers
- In Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati's BSP Lone Gainer Among Grand Alliance Constituents
- PM Modi Tenders Resignation Of Council Of Ministers, To Continue in Office Till Oath Ceremony
- After LS Poll Drubbing, Karnataka Cabinet Reposes Faith In Kumaraswamy