Daily Curator : Delhi HC's One More Reason For Divorce, Khap Panchayats Of Bengal
Good morning. It was on this day, 1,962 years ago that Nero became Emperor of Rome and we all know how that turned out for everyone. Speaking of consequences, Dalit writers Pradnya Pawar and Raosaheb Kasbe have alleged that a group of ‘hooligans’ forced their ouster from a Marathi literary event at Satara. The duo had earlier voiced their opinions on caste discrimination and censorship of literature.
We’ve heard of khap panchayats up north and now meet their mean brother from the east. A ‘salisha sabha’ of about 50 men in West Bengal’s Murshidabad district forced a farmer to shave his wife’s head after the latter was accused of an illicit relationship. The family had failed to pay a fine of Rs 6000.
Meanwhile, in other ways to get a divorce, the Delhi HC has held that denial of sex by a wife to her husband can lead to kaboom. Over in Mumbai, the 1000-page chargesheet filed in the Hiranandani kidney racket has an instance where doctors convinced a kidney donor that the organ would grow back after 18 months.
Over in Bengaluru, para-cyclist Aditya Mehta, who earned two silver medals at the Asian Para-Cycling Championship 2013 was forced to take off his prosthetic and strip so that the officials at the airport could search him. Mehta later said that CISF personnel were staring and laughing at him.
And from JNU comes another flash-point. Students at the University got rather creative with effigy-burning on Dussehra and burnt one with PM Modi, BJP President Amit Shah and others as faces of Ravana. Proctorial notices had been issued to four students of the NSUI and a university probe is now on.
Finally, from high-flying Punjab, a compilation of the data for aspirants to the Punjab Police has revealed that 1,775 out of 6,558 had used marijuana. Amphetamines were detected in 1,672 candidates and morphine in 1,238 cases. Peace out.
- British PM May Wins Confidence Vote, Calls On MPs To Work Together To Deliver Brexit
- PM-Led Committee Likely To Meet On Jan 24 To Appoint New CBI Chief
- 'We Are With You And Your Family': Rahul Gandhi Wishes Arun Jaitley Speedy Recovery
- Amid Political Ruckus, Karnataka Congress Calls Legislature Party Meet On Jan 18
- C/O Arthouse: How A Family Helps Their Village In Odisha Make A Living Through Art
- What Will Be The Effect Of Alliances Against BJP Across India
- Two Mega Film Releases Trigger A Wave Of Crazy Fan Behaviour In Tamil Nadu
- Politics And Public Memory In Kashmir
- Sabarimala Issue May Help BJP Grow In Kerala But Social Reform Is Inevitable
- From Bollywood To South India, What Made Kader Khan A Darling Of Film-Makers
- Lessons In Nationalism And Modernity: What India Can Learn From Japan And Korea
- Justices Dinesh Maheshwari, Sanjiv Khanna Elevated To Supreme Court
- BJP Chief Amit Shah Suffering From Swine Flu, Admitted To AIIMS
- Union Cabinet Approves Rs 3,600 Crore For Setting Up 13 Central Universities
- Watch: Cake Loot, Bar Dancers At Events To Celebrate Mayawati's Birthday In UP
- #10-Year-Challenge: 'So Relatable' Memes On The Throwback Challenge
- Close To Month Since ‘Missing', Families Of 7 Fishermen Pin Hope For Their Survival
- JNU Sedition Case: Separatists Say Charge Sheet Against 7 Kashmiris Is 'Vindictive'
- Nothing On Alliance With AAP Yet: Sheila Dikshit Cites Rajiv Gandhi