Daily Curator: As Bihar and Jharkhand get to grips with communal strife
Good morning. Sixty years ago, the father of the Indian constitution Dr. B.R. Ambedkar converted to Buddhism on this day.
Over growing internet concerns over privacy, Google revealed that India was fourth based on the number of user data requests the government submitted. For the first half of 2016, India is only behind the U.S., Germany and France with 4300 requests. India managed to overtake the UK with 3,452 requests while the United Kingdom requested for 3,302 user data
The All India Muslim Personal Law Board has rejected the Law Commissions questionnaire on the possibility of a Uniform Civil Code being imposed. The board went after the BJP-led government at the Centre for trying to disrupt the plural fabric of the country.
The tussle between the Centre and the judiciary continues with the government informing a parliamentary panel yesterday that a lot of their proposals part of the draft MoP (Memorandum of Procedure) had been rejected by the SC collegium. The government is of the view that the changes will help bring about greater transparency and accountability in the appointment of judges.
Meanwhile, over in Bihar, communal tensions are said to be spiking in Madhepura. The trigger came after a few Muslim youths reportedly stopped the music at a Dussehra function on Mondaynight. Over in nearby Jharkhand, a post-mortem of the 22-year-old Minhaz Ansari who died in police custody has revealed that he died due to torture. He had been allegedly picked up by the police for posting an objectionable message on Whatsapp around beef.
The kidnapping of nearly 300 girls from a school in Chibok in 2014 had thrust Nigerian terror outfit Boko Haram into the spotlight. Nearly two and a half years after the incident, Nigeria says that the group has released 21 of the girls following negotiations.
Finally, Navjot Singh Sidhu’s newly formed Awaaz-e-Punjab may be headed for a merger with the Congress as Capt. Amarinder is said to be waiting with open arms.
- British PM May Wins Confidence Vote, Calls On MPs To Work Together To Deliver Brexit
- PM-Led Committee Likely To Meet On Jan 24 To Appoint New CBI Chief
- 'We Are With You And Your Family': Rahul Gandhi Wishes Arun Jaitley Speedy Recovery
- Amid Political Ruckus, Karnataka Congress Calls Legislature Party Meet On Jan 18
- C/O Arthouse: How A Family Helps Their Village In Odisha Make A Living Through Art
- What Will Be The Effect Of Alliances Against BJP Across India
- Two Mega Film Releases Trigger A Wave Of Crazy Fan Behaviour In Tamil Nadu
- Politics And Public Memory In Kashmir
- Sabarimala Issue May Help BJP Grow In Kerala But Social Reform Is Inevitable
- From Bollywood To South India, What Made Kader Khan A Darling Of Film-Makers
- Lessons In Nationalism And Modernity: What India Can Learn From Japan And Korea
- Justices Dinesh Maheshwari, Sanjiv Khanna Elevated To Supreme Court
- Jadavpur Professor Who Likened Virgin Women To Sealed Bottles Barred From Teaching
- Union Cabinet Approves Rs 3,600 Crore For Setting Up 13 Central Universities
- Watch: Cake Loot, Bar Dancers At Events To Celebrate Mayawati's Birthday In UP
- #10-Year-Challenge: 'So Relatable' Memes On The Throwback Challenge
- Close To Month Since ‘Missing', Families Of 7 Fishermen Pin Hope For Their Survival
- JNU Sedition Case: Separatists Say Charge Sheet Against 7 Kashmiris Is 'Vindictive'
- Nothing On Alliance With AAP Yet: Sheila Dikshit Cites Rajiv Gandhi