Daily Curator: A Day After Varanasi Stampede, Baba Makes Hay While The Sun Still Shines
Good morning. The Nobel Prize has been in the news lately, namely for Bob Dylan winning it, and it was on this day, 37 years ago that Mother Teresa won the Nobel for peace. However, all isn’t at peace in the Mother’s adopted home-state. Following the alleged throwing of a low intensity bomb at a Muharram procession last Wednesday, communal clashes have taken place at Hazinagar and Halisahar in Bengal which have left five reportedly injured while around 30 homes and many shops have been razed.
Over in Mumbai, 61-year-old RTI activist Bhupendra Vira was shot dead on Saturday night. Members of his family have claimed that Vira took on many a politician and others involved in illegal construction. In Kochi, a school textbook for Class II students has come under the scanner after having very suggestive religious connotations in them. The school authorities claimed a slip-up on the part of the publisher who had been asked to replace the books from this academic year.
A day after a stampede in Varanasi which killed 24 devotees, business went on as usual with Jai Gurudev cult leader Pankaj Baba having his planned sermon yesterday. Close to 65,000 jackets, 29,000 T-shirts and 69,000 posters were sold at the congregation, boasted the baba over the phone. Staying on in the state, an RTI revealed that close to one prisoner died in a UP prison every 26 hours and that 2,050 had perished since 2010.
And instead of watering the fields, FCI officials in Chiitorgarh, Jaipur, have been caught watering the grain, albeit to increase the weight of the grain sacks and sell the excess in the black market.
Over to happy news. Thirty-four-year old Shuchi Muley, a resident of Bhopal will be one in a hundred ‘Van Gogh artists’ who are going to paint 62,000 frames in oils. It is part of the world’s first painted animation feature titled ‘Loving Vincet’.
- Veganism: Not Just A Different Menu But An Alternative Way Of Relating To Living World
- Mamata Banerjee To Hold Mega Opposition Rally In Kolkata Today
- 2019 Lok Sabha Elections Date Likely To Be Announced In First Week Of March
- We Have A Settled And Balanced Team That Will Be Competitive Anywhere: Tendulkar
- Arun Jaitley Dismisses Report On Price Escalation In Rafale Deal, Calls It 'Fudged Arithmetic'
- Only Thing That Can Ground Naveen Patnaik This Time Is ‘Problem Of Plenty’
- What Will Be The Effect Of Alliances Against BJP Across India
- Two Mega Film Releases Trigger A Wave Of Crazy Fan Behaviour In Tamil Nadu
- Politics And Public Memory In Kashmir
- Sabarimala Issue May Help BJP Grow In Kerala But Social Reform Is Inevitable
- From Bollywood To South India, What Made Kader Khan A Darling Of Film-Makers
- Gurgaon: Rape Survivor Shot Dead Hours Before Hearing In Court
- India Decimate Australia In Both Test And One-Day Cricket To Create History Down Under
- BJP Accuses Congress And Rahul Gandhi For Supporting Those Who Raised Anti-India Slogans
- Woman Calls Off Wedding In Dry Bihar After Constable Groom Arrives Drunk
- India, Pak Should Engage In 'Meaningful Dialogue' To Resolve Their Issues: UN Chief
- Kamala Harris Chooses Baltimore As Headquaters For Potential US Presidential Run: Reports
- India’s Debt Under Modi Govt Surges 50% To Rs 82 Lakh Crore
- Took Me Years To Realise Predatory Behaviour Of Director: Swara Bhasker