Daily Curator: A Day After Varanasi Stampede, Baba Makes Hay While The Sun Still Shines
Good morning. The Nobel Prize has been in the news lately, namely for Bob Dylan winning it, and it was on this day, 37 years ago that Mother Teresa won the Nobel for peace. However, all isn’t at peace in the Mother’s adopted home-state. Following the alleged throwing of a low intensity bomb at a Muharram procession last Wednesday, communal clashes have taken place at Hazinagar and Halisahar in Bengal which have left five reportedly injured while around 30 homes and many shops have been razed.
Over in Mumbai, 61-year-old RTI activist Bhupendra Vira was shot dead on Saturday night. Members of his family have claimed that Vira took on many a politician and others involved in illegal construction. In Kochi, a school textbook for Class II students has come under the scanner after having very suggestive religious connotations in them. The school authorities claimed a slip-up on the part of the publisher who had been asked to replace the books from this academic year.
A day after a stampede in Varanasi which killed 24 devotees, business went on as usual with Jai Gurudev cult leader Pankaj Baba having his planned sermon yesterday. Close to 65,000 jackets, 29,000 T-shirts and 69,000 posters were sold at the congregation, boasted the baba over the phone. Staying on in the state, an RTI revealed that close to one prisoner died in a UP prison every 26 hours and that 2,050 had perished since 2010.
And instead of watering the fields, FCI officials in Chiitorgarh, Jaipur, have been caught watering the grain, albeit to increase the weight of the grain sacks and sell the excess in the black market.
Over to happy news. Thirty-four-year old Shuchi Muley, a resident of Bhopal will be one in a hundred ‘Van Gogh artists’ who are going to paint 62,000 frames in oils. It is part of the world’s first painted animation feature titled ‘Loving Vincet’.
- Union Minister M J Akbar Resigns Over #MeToo Allegations, Says Will Challenge 'False Accusations'
- Protests Near Sabarimala Temple Turn Violent, Devotees Attack Women Journalists
- Hyatt Gun Row: Ashish Pandey Threatened To Kill Me, Victim Tells Police
- PNB Scam: ED Attaches Assets Worth Rs 218 Crore Of Mehul Choksi, Other Accused
- Sabarimala: Restrictions On Women A 'Recent Phenomenon'
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- BJP Is Unlikely To Flaunt Its Economic Record In 2019 Election Campaign
- Stinking Toilets In Trains: Blame It On Passengers
- 'Will Challenge False Accusations Levied Against Me': Full Text Of MJ Akbar's Resignation
- As Devotees Take To Streets, Sabarimala Protests Unite Congress, BJP In Kerala
- Security Tightened In Surat After Bihar Migrant Labourer Named In Minor Girl's Rape, Murder
- Asian Champions Trophy: India Open Title Defence With Oman Clash
- Meet Reshma Nishanth Who Wants To Become One Of The First Women To Enter Sabarimala
- #MeToo | Vinta Nanda Files Police Complaint Against Alok Nath
- Pakistan Executes Rapist Of 7-Year-Old In Presence Of Victim's Father
- In Pics: PM Narendra Modi Meets Asian Para Games 2018 Medallists