Custodial Torture Killed Jharkhand Man Held Over Beef Whatsapp Messages
A post-morterm report has confirmed that 22-year-old Minhaz Ansari, arrested on October 3for allegedly sending out an objectionable message on Whatsapp about beef, died due to torture in police custody and not encephalitis.
Earlier this year in Jharkhand, a BJP-ruled state, two Muslim men, who were herding buffaloes to a market in Latehar, were found hanging from a tree with brutal injury marks.
Ansari was arrested on the night of October 2 when the police came across the objectionable message on Whatsapp at Dighari, Narayanpura.
Two days later, his family came to know that he had been shifted to Dhanbad after he had sustained injuries while in custody.
While the police maintained that Ansari had encephalitis which had worsened after his arrest, the family had alleged that his condition deteriorated due to torture by the police while in custody.
“While an inquiry is on, the medical reports indicate that Ansari was suffering from encephalitis. It appears that the officer-in-charge did not check on this,” said Jamtara SP Manoj Kumar Singh. He said the police took action in the case as it was close to Muharram and Dussehra and it had the potential to disturb communal harmony.
“He was suffering from fever and was sent to Sadar Hospital in Jamtara, from where he was referred to Patliputra Medical College and Hospital in Dhanbad. From Dhanbad he was referred to RIMS, where he underwent treatment at the ICU,” Singh added.
An attempt-to-murder charge was filed against the officer was changed to murder following Ansari’s death.
- China's Support Helps Imran Khan Strut Back To Pakistan
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping Visit Ancient Sites, Attend Cultural Show During Informal Summit
- Incarcerated Omar Abdullah Meets His Sons After 68 Days
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- India v South Africa, Pune Test: Kohli, Bowlers Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- PM Modi Plays The Warm Tamil Host To Chinese President Xi Jinping
- Govt's Advt In J&K Newspapers Asks People To Resume Normal Life
- Kohli 1st Indian To Score 7 Double Tons
- A 'Clerical Error' Leading To Musical Chairs In Congress' North-East Units
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- Postpaid Mobile Service Likely To Resume In Kashmir From Saturday
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- Indian Premier League: Anil Kumble Named Head Coach Of Kings XI Punjab