Custodial Torture Killed Jharkhand Man Held Over Beef Whatsapp Messages
A post-morterm report has confirmed that 22-year-old Minhaz Ansari, arrested on October 3for allegedly sending out an objectionable message on Whatsapp about beef, died due to torture in police custody and not encephalitis.
Earlier this year in Jharkhand, a BJP-ruled state, two Muslim men, who were herding buffaloes to a market in Latehar, were found hanging from a tree with brutal injury marks.
Ansari was arrested on the night of October 2 when the police came across the objectionable message on Whatsapp at Dighari, Narayanpura.
Two days later, his family came to know that he had been shifted to Dhanbad after he had sustained injuries while in custody.
While the police maintained that Ansari had encephalitis which had worsened after his arrest, the family had alleged that his condition deteriorated due to torture by the police while in custody.
“While an inquiry is on, the medical reports indicate that Ansari was suffering from encephalitis. It appears that the officer-in-charge did not check on this,” said Jamtara SP Manoj Kumar Singh. He said the police took action in the case as it was close to Muharram and Dussehra and it had the potential to disturb communal harmony.
“He was suffering from fever and was sent to Sadar Hospital in Jamtara, from where he was referred to Patliputra Medical College and Hospital in Dhanbad. From Dhanbad he was referred to RIMS, where he underwent treatment at the ICU,” Singh added.
An attempt-to-murder charge was filed against the officer was changed to murder following Ansari’s death.
- SC Dismisses Rafale PILs With A Note Of Caution, Major Relief To Modi Govt
- Ashok Gehlot To Be Rajasthan CM, Sachin Pilot His Deputy: Congress
- Outlook-Lokniti-CSDS Election Analysis: How Madhya Pradesh Voted
- Interpreting The Verdict: What Led To BJP's Defeat In Rajasthan
- High BP Is Killing Tribals In J&K. Is Kashmiri Salt Tea To Blame?
- The Pilgrim’s Progress: Railways To Waive Off Surcharge On Special Trains During Kumbh Mela
- Why There Is A Problem With Opinion Polls In India
- Introduced And Cancelled: Why India's Semi-High-Speed Trains Struggle To Survive
- When Omar Retweets Mehbooba And Drabu 'Likes' Lone's Tweets
- In Karnataka, Ministry Expansion Is Back To The Front Once Again
- Here's Why PM Modi's G20 Move On Economic Offenders Is Unlikely To Change Anything
- Kamal Nath Will Take Oath As Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister On Dec 17
- Arun Jaitley Rejects Demand For JPC Probe Into Rafale Deal
- Rahul Gandhi Maintains Charges, Asks Why CAG Report On Rafale Deal Cited By SC Not Tabled Before PAC
- Over Rs 2000 Crore: Cost Of PM Modi's Foreign Trips Since 2014
- New MP Assembly Has 94 MLAs With Criminal Cases, 187 Multi-millionaires
- Ace Shuttlers Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap Tie The Knot, Wishes Pour In
- Five Dead, 80 Hospitalised After Consuming 'Prasad' In Karnataka's Chamarajnagar District
- AUS Vs IND, 2nd Test, Day 1 Report: Honours Even As Indian Pacers Toil At Perth