Crime, Punishment, Honour
This is the (unedited) full-text of the status update by Shaheen Dhada which was 'liked' by her friend Renu Srinivasan on Facebook:
"With all respect, every day, thousands of people die, but still the world moves on. Just due to one politician died a natural death, everyone just goes bonkers. They should know, we are resilient by force, not by choice. When was the last time, did anyone showed some respect or even a two-minute silence for Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Azad, Sukhdev or any of the people because of whom we are free-living Indians? Respect is earned, given, and definitely not forced. Today, Mumbai shuts down due to fear, not due to respect."
As the press reports summed up:
Though the girl withdrew her comment and apologised, a mob of some 2,000 Shiv Sena workers attacked and ransacked her uncle’s orthopaedic clinic at Palghar.
Getting the statement withdrawn or an apology under intimidation was clearly not enough for the brave Sainiks of the Sena as they went ahead and lodged a complaint with the police. It is instructive that the police, instead of taking action against the mob, wanted 14 days' custody for the young girls, not even straightaway releasing them on bail as provided under law.
Consider this: the police commissioner has confirmed that no action has been taken against those who attacked the clinic of Shaheen Dhada's uncle’s orthopaedic clinic at Palghar.
And just to put matters in perspective, let's remember that the state's chief minister yesterday chose to "honour the sentiments of Mumbaikars" by according a state funeral -- taking the body draped in the Tricolour in a procession on a gun-carriage with full police bandobast, besides a 21-gun salute ahead of the funeral -- to someone about whom the Sri Krishna report had stated:
From 8th January 1993 at least there is no doubt that the Shiv Sena and Shiv Sainiks took the lead in organizing attacks on Muslims and their properties under the guidance of several leaders of the Shiv Sena from the level of Shakha Pramukh to the Shiv Sena Pramukh Bal Thackeray who, like a veteran General, commanded his loyal Shiv Sainiks to retaliate by organised attacks against Muslims.
For more inconvenient truths about the one honoured with a state funeral, here's a random compendium.
The message from the ruling establishment about those it chooses to honour and protect and those it chooses to penalise could not be clearer.
- China's Support Helps Imran Khan Strut Back To Pakistan
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping Visit Ancient Sites, Attend Cultural Show During Informal Summit
- Incarcerated Omar Abdullah Meets His Sons After 68 Days
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- India v South Africa, Pune Test: Kohli, Bowlers Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- PM Modi Plays The Warm Tamil Host To Chinese President Xi Jinping
- Govt's Advt In J&K Newspapers Asks People To Resume Normal Life
- Kohli 1st Indian To Score 7 Double Tons
- A 'Clerical Error' Leading To Musical Chairs In Congress' North-East Units
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- Postpaid Mobile Service Likely To Resume In Kashmir From Saturday
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- Indian Premier League: Anil Kumble Named Head Coach Of Kings XI Punjab