'Cosy Indulgence Of Mutual Wrong-Doing'
It is not just the BJP which keeps silent on l'affaire Vadra or the Congress on l'affaire Gadkari. Swapan Dasgupta writes in the Pioneer on the Zee News-Jindal Steel extortion case, in which the editorial staff of the TV channel allegedly demanded Rs 100 crore in lieu of advertisements from the steel major to not publish stories in the coal scam:
What may surprise the media’s consumers is the relative indifference with which this sensational counter-sting has been received in the media. This isn’t because journalists, like the politicians they love to hate, are inherently venal. Nor is it due to the media emulating the cosy indulgence of mutual wrong- doing that Arvind Kejriwal believes is rampant in the political class, across party lines. The media didn’t react to the JSPL sting with the same measure of breathless excitement that greets every political corruption scandal because it is aware that this is just the tip of the iceberg. A thorough exploration of the media will unearth not merely sharp business practices but even horrifying criminality...
Since the Press Council of India chairman Justice (retired) M Katju is desperate to make a mark, he would do well to suo moto establish a working group to inquire into journalistic ethics. He could travel to a small State in western India where there persistent rumours that those who claim to be high-minded crusaders arm-twisted a Chief Minister into bankrolling an event as the quid pro quo for not publishing an investigation into some dirty practices.
The emphasis these days is on non-publishing. One editor, for example, specialised in the art of actually commissioning stories, treating it in the proper journalistic way and even creating a dummy page. This dummy page would be sent to the victim along with a verbal ‘demand notice’. Most of them paid up. This may be a reason why this gentleman’s unpublished works are thought to be more significant than the few scribbles that reached the readers and for which he received lots of awards.
Read the full article: Media, Turn the Mirror Inwards
- Jet Airways Passengers Left Bleeding As Crew Forgets To Maintain Cabin Pressure
- Nirmala Sitharaman 'Must Resign': Rahul Gandhi On HAL Ex-Chief Comment Over Rafale Deal Row
- Shambhulal Regar, Who Hacked Muslim Man on Camera, May Contest 2019 LS Polls From Agra
- Interest Rates On PPF, NSC, Other Small Savings Raised By Up To 0.4%
- Honour Killing: Inter-Caste Couple Attacked By Woman's Father In Hyderabad
- Article 35A: An Unprecedented Situation In Kashmir
- Four Months Of Kumaraswami Govt: Karnataka Power Games Carry On
- Prashant Kishor No Exception, Nitish Has Always Relied On 'Apolitical' Advisors
- With A Formidable BJP, Is Mamata Worried About Hindu Votes?
- The VVIP Culture In Indian Railways
- Gurez Valley In J&K: Where These Doctors Go, Whom They Serve?
- Vyapam Scam: Digvijay Moves Court Against Shivraj, Uma Bharti
- Mallya's Two Choppers Auctioned For Rs 8.75 Crore
- Godman Nithyananda Says He Can Make Cows, Monkey Speak In Sanskrit, Tamil
- Former Delhi High Court Judge’s Wife, Daughter Assaulted And Robbed
- Uttarakhand Minister Seeks "Mother Of Nation" Status For Cow
- Principal, Clerk Arrested For Raping Class 5 Student In Patna
- Priyanka Chopra’s Debut Assamese Film ‘Bhoga Khidikee’ To Be Released On Oct 26
- UP ATS Arrests BSF Jawan, Cops Say He Was 'Honey-Trapped' By ISI