"Congress Bureau Of Investigation"
Aruna Roy (of the NAC) and Nikhil Dey in the Indian Express on the UPA's decision to remove the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) from the purview of the Right to Information (RTI) law:
The UPA must understand the message it is giving the country by placing the premier anti-corruption agency under wraps. It is only feeding into the allegations that the CBI has become the “Congress Bureau of Investigation”. The political fallout of this decision extends beyond the CBI. The RTI Act has been one of the outstanding successes of the UPA government. There have already been numerous attempts from within to undermine it. This move threatens to push the RTI Act into a black hole and wipe out the new sunshine of transparency. In the current debate about an effective Lokpal, the government will find it impossible to convince the country that it is serious about fighting corruption. Exempting the CBI casts a shadow on the UPA’s stated intent to promote a transparent and accountable system. The people must protest vociferously to get this unjustified decision reversed.
Read at the Indian Express: Where no sunlight goes
- NSA Ajit Doval Briefs Home Minister Amit Shah On Kashmir, Reviews Security Situation
- Tremors Of J&K Rock Darjeeling Hills As Gorkhaland Agitators Now Want Their Pound Of Flesh
- Chidambaram Summoned By ED In Aviation Scam PMLA Case
- Schools Reopen In Kashmir, Teachers Present But Few Students Turn Up
- 28 Dead As Heavy Rains Wreak Havoc In Himachal, Punjab, U'khand
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- Manmohan Singh Elected Unopposed To Rajya Sabha
- UP Woman 'Beaten To Death' By In-laws; Family Says She Had Refused To Accept Triple Talaq
- UP Becoming 'Hatya Pradesh': Akhilesh Yadav Attacks Yogi Government Over 6 Murders In 24 Hours
- Pak’s Effort To Link Kashmir With Afghan Peace Process Is 'Irresponsible': Afghanistan
- ICC Test Rankings: Steve Smith Closes In As Virat Kohli Maintains Top Spot
- Man Who Claims To Be Mughal Descendant Offers Gold Brick For Ram Temple
- MNS Chief Raj Thackeray Summoned By ED In IL&FS Probe
- Everything Isn't Doomed And Gloomy About The Economy: RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das