Chapter 84: Cobrapost Sting on Delhi Sikh Carnage
A sting operation by investigative news portal Cobrapost that decided to revisit the Sikh carnage of 1984, which involved interviewing eight officers of Delhi Police, reveals most of them candidly admitting to their failure as a force, with some of them confessing that the top brass of the police force colluded with the Congress government of the day to teach Sikhs “a lesson”.
The Cobrapost undercover interviews were conducted with the following police personnel:
- Shoorveer Singh Tyagi, Station House Office (SHO) Kalyanpuri;
- Rohtas Singh, SHO Delhi Cantonment;
- S.N. Bhaskar, SHO Krishna Nagar;
- O. P. Yadav, SHO Srinivaspuri;
- Jaipal Singh, SHO Mehrauli.
- S.C. Tandon, then police chief who conveniently parried all questions
- Gautam Kaul, then additional commissioner of police, straightaway rejected the idea that he had any first-hand knowledge of rioting
- Amrik Singh Bhullar, then the SHO of Patel Nagar, who had named some local leaders in his affidavit, accusing them instigating and even leading the frenzied mobs.
The Cobrapost, on its website, listed the following as the findings of the probe:
- The police force had succumbed to anti-Sikh sentiments, thus abetting rioting and arson, even encouraging rioters
- Repeated warnings about the simmering communal sentiments against Sikhs in their areas went unheard by senior officers
- While news of arson and rioting bombarded the police control rooms, only two per cent of the messages were recorded
- Police logbooks were conveniently changed to eliminate evidence of inaction on the part of senior officers
- Some officers did not act for fear of punishment being transferred
- Some police officers dumped bodies of victims somewhere else to minimize riot-related crimes in their areas
- The police did not allow the riot victims to file FIRs or when they filed FIRs, they clubbed disparate, unconnected cases of murder and arson in one FIR
- Messages were broadcast directing police to not take action against rioters who were shouting slogans of ‘Indira Gandhi zindabad’
- The government of the day did not allow the police to act while creating an impression that the police were not performing their duty
- Senior officers like did not allow their subordinates to open fire on rioters
- Police officers did not act even when some press reporters informed him of killing and arson by rioters all around Delhi
- Even the Fire Brigade refused to move to areas where cases of arson had been reported by police.
- 'India's Soul Was Crushed On June 25, 1975': PM Modi Speaks About Emergency In Lok Sabha
- PMO Cuts Down Manmohan Singh's Office Staff To Five, Ignores Pleas By Former PM
- CWC 2019: Australia In Semis, England In Disarray
- 'At Least He Quoted Nehru Today': Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury After PM Modi's Attack On Congress
- Jharkhand Man's Lynching 'Blot On Humanity', BJP Leaders' Silence On Matter 'Shocking': Rahul Gandhi
- Trump's America Is Once Again Locking Horns With Iran. What Should India Do?
- Do Driving And Education Have A Connection?
- Ola, Ole! How's The Patient Doing?
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- Terrorism, H-1B Visa, Iran Oil To Top Agenda Of Jaishankar-Pompeo Meet
- Mehul Choksi's Citizenship Will Be Revoked And He Will Be Deported To India: Antigua PM
- Bulandshahr: Man Runs Over Two Women After Trying To Molest Girl From Same Family
- Rahul To Meet Congress Leaders From All Poll-Bound States To Discuss Party's Preparedness
- After SP-BSP Call It Quits, Is Bihar Mahagathbandhan Also Destined To Meet Same Fate?
- Bihar: FIR Against 39 Men For Protesting Against AES Deaths, Lack Of Water Supply
- Editor-Owner Of Kashmir-Based Urdu Daily Arrested In 28-Year-Old Case; Court Grants Bail
- Bihar: Man Carries Son On Shoulder After No Ambulance At Hospital