Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
The Information and Broadcast Ministry has ordered the Hindi news channel to NDTV India to remain shut for one day. The order was invoked under the Cable TV Networks (Regulation) Act for allegedly releasing “strategically sensitive” information while reporting the Pathankot attacks that happened in January this year. It stated that the transmission of NDTV India on for one day on any platform throughout India with effect from 00:01 hours on November 9,2016 till 00:01 hours of November 10, 2016, shall be prohibited.
While NDTV was taken aback by the restraint, it questioned the government’s move to single out only NDTVIndia when other news channels had similar reportage of the Pathankot attack.
The Centre’s move to ban the channel is being criticised by several politicians and media organisations. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Bannerjee said that the move is indicatory of “emergency-like situation” prevailing in the country.
NDTV ban is shocking. If Govt had issues with Pathankot coverage,there are provisions available. But ban shows an Emergency-like attitude— Mamata Banerjee (@MamataOfficial) November 4, 2016
Former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Omar Abdullah today lashed out at the Centre for its order to take the private news channel off air for a day, asking if these were the promised achhe din.
NDTV India ordered off the air, opposition leaders detained for wanting to show solidarity with family of dead solider. Ache din anyone?— Omar Abdullah (@abdullah_omar) November 4, 2016
A similar such reaction was received from Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, who was detained by the Delhi Police for expressing his solidarity with the family of ex-Indian Army Subedar Ram Kishan Grewal, who committed suicide owing to the One Rank One Pension policy.
Various renowned journalists and senior journalists also expressed their dissent with the Central Government's order, suggesting that it was a breach of the fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression.
This culture of Sarkari Bans- singling out one channel- NDTV India- smacks of arbitrary over reach; as the Editors Guild has also said https://t.co/cLokMkzoVt— barkha dutt (@BDUTT) November 4, 2016
The banning of NDTV India is a shocking flexing of govt muscle over free media. Don't shoot the messenger!— Sagarika Ghose (@sagarikaghose) November 3, 2016
One of India's most sober and responsible channels NDTV India to be banned for a day by I and B ministry. NDTV today, who tomorrow?— Rajdeep Sardesai (@sardesairajdeep) November 3, 2016
While there were others, who affirmed to the centre’s move, claiming that the order wasn’t unprecedented and has been invoked several times during the UPA regime also.
Meanwhile, the Centre’s alleged intervention in the free functioning of the press has been lambasted by the Editor’s Guild of India, which has demanded that the order be immediately withdrawn.
- LIVE Updates: Rajnath Singh Pays Tribute To CRPF Personnel Killed Pulwama Attack
- 'Ready To Sacrifice My Other Son For India, But Pakistan Must Pay,' Says Father Of Slain CRPF Jawan
- Those Behind Pulwama Will Have To Pay, Security Forces Given Complete Freedom: PM Modi
- What Is Jaish-e-Mohammad, Why India Calls For Global Ban On Masood Azhar
- Light A Candle, Pay Tribute To CRPF Bravehearts
- China’s Growing Influence In Nepal Vs India’s Soft Power
- Will 'Operation Lotus' Boomerang On BJP In Karnataka?
- Faulted By Design: Cow Slaughter In India And Bank Interest In Pakistan
- A Race To Grab Spotlight This Election Season
- Zero's Failure Should Not Dissuade Shahrukh Khan From Trying New Roles
- The Big 'Little Brother' Of Tamil Nadu
- Pulwama Terror Attack: Entire Opp Stands With Security Forces, Govt, Says Rahul Gandhi
- China Condemns Pulwama Attack, But Declines To Back India On Azhar Ban
- Pulwama Terror Attack: India Withdraws Most Favoured Nation Status To Pakistan
- Perpetrators Must Be Punished, But Can Entire Nation Be Blamed For Handful Of People: Sidhu
- US Calls On Pak To End 'Support', 'Safe Haven' To All Terrorist Groups Immediately
- ‘Our Struggle Will Go To Delhi And Gujarat’: 21-Year-Old Jaish Terrorist Behind Pulwama Terror Attack
- We Will Not Forget, We Will Not Forgive: CRPF On Pulwama Terror Attack
- India Summons Pakistan Envoy, Lodges Protest Over Pulwama Attack