Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
The Information and Broadcast Ministry has ordered the Hindi news channel to NDTV India to remain shut for one day. The order was invoked under the Cable TV Networks (Regulation) Act for allegedly releasing “strategically sensitive” information while reporting the Pathankot attacks that happened in January this year. It stated that the transmission of NDTV India on for one day on any platform throughout India with effect from 00:01 hours on November 9,2016 till 00:01 hours of November 10, 2016, shall be prohibited.
While NDTV was taken aback by the restraint, it questioned the government’s move to single out only NDTVIndia when other news channels had similar reportage of the Pathankot attack.
The Centre’s move to ban the channel is being criticised by several politicians and media organisations. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Bannerjee said that the move is indicatory of “emergency-like situation” prevailing in the country.
NDTV ban is shocking. If Govt had issues with Pathankot coverage,there are provisions available. But ban shows an Emergency-like attitude— Mamata Banerjee (@MamataOfficial) November 4, 2016
Former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Omar Abdullah today lashed out at the Centre for its order to take the private news channel off air for a day, asking if these were the promised achhe din.
NDTV India ordered off the air, opposition leaders detained for wanting to show solidarity with family of dead solider. Ache din anyone?— Omar Abdullah (@abdullah_omar) November 4, 2016
A similar such reaction was received from Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, who was detained by the Delhi Police for expressing his solidarity with the family of ex-Indian Army Subedar Ram Kishan Grewal, who committed suicide owing to the One Rank One Pension policy.
Various renowned journalists and senior journalists also expressed their dissent with the Central Government's order, suggesting that it was a breach of the fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression.
This culture of Sarkari Bans- singling out one channel- NDTV India- smacks of arbitrary over reach; as the Editors Guild has also said https://t.co/cLokMkzoVt— barkha dutt (@BDUTT) November 4, 2016
The banning of NDTV India is a shocking flexing of govt muscle over free media. Don't shoot the messenger!— Sagarika Ghose (@sagarikaghose) November 3, 2016
One of India's most sober and responsible channels NDTV India to be banned for a day by I and B ministry. NDTV today, who tomorrow?— Rajdeep Sardesai (@sardesairajdeep) November 3, 2016
While there were others, who affirmed to the centre’s move, claiming that the order wasn’t unprecedented and has been invoked several times during the UPA regime also.
Meanwhile, the Centre’s alleged intervention in the free functioning of the press has been lambasted by the Editor’s Guild of India, which has demanded that the order be immediately withdrawn.
- Conspiracy Against CJI: SC Says Rich And Powerful Are Playing With Fire
- Explosion In Sri Lanka's Pugoda Town Near Colombo
- PM Modi To Hold Mega Roadshow In Varanasi Today; To File Nomination Tomorrow
- Might Send Gifts, Sweets But Won't Give Vote: Mamata Banerjee's Reply To PM Narendra Modi
- Over 60% of Motor Vehicles In India Are Uninsured
- Modi The Man, Made For The Camera
- In Politics, Sunny Deol Will Have To Wait For Taarikh After Taarikh To Get Things Done
- Leaders Know Political Rhetoric Needs To Be Entertaining, Otherwise Rallies Are Boring
- Chennai’s Famous Historian S. Muthiah Is No More
- 'Let's Ask The Congress Spokesperson...Wait, Where's The Congress Spokesperson? We Just Lost The Link'
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- Two Militants Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Anantnag
- 16 More Arrested As Sri Lanka Continue Crackdown On Terror Suspects
- Sri Lankan President Asks Defence Secretary, Police Chief To Resign Over Easter Sunday Bombings
- Retire Your Candidate From Begusarai: CPI Appeals To Tejashwi Yadav For Kanhaiya Kumar
- How Twinkle Khanna Reacted To PM Narendra Modi's Comments About Her Criticism Of Him
- WATCH: MS Dhoni's Lightning-Quick Stumping Stuns David Warner
- Congress Using 'Tantra Mantra' To Stop PM Narendra Modi: BJP
- WATCH: CCTV Footage Of Suicide Bombers Entering Sri Lanka's St Sebastian Church, Shangri-La Hotel