Bizarre Ad: 'We Featured Him For His Hair, Not Terrorism'
Readers were recently rather startled to see this advertisement featuring a hirsute Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the former Pakistani former al-Qaeda leader, accused of being the "principal architect" of 9/11, in Hurriyet Daily News, Turkey’s oldest English-language daily.
“Waiting won’t get rid of that hair!” or, more literally, “The hair will not go away because you keep waiting!” said the ad in Turkish.
In its defence, the Turkish cosmetics company which used his photograph in an ad for hair removal products pleads that it featured the notorious al-Qaeda terrorist “for his hair, not terrorism.”
“We didn’t know that he was a terrorist. This image is in popular use in Turkish memes on the Internet. The guy is quite hairy, so we thought his body was a good fit for our ad,” Mehmet Can Y?ld?z, a representative for the cosmetics company, told Hürriyet via phone on Nov. 4.
Y?ld?z told Hurriyet that the company had discovered the image on ?nci Sözlük, a Turkish online social community website.
“We didn’t want to imply anything political. We didn’t know that it could become an international story. I repeat: We featured him for his hair, not terrorism,” Y?ld?z said.
Turkish hair removal product ad featuring Khalid Sheikh Mohammed pic.twitter.com/KImYWPjaop— yusuf sayman (@ysfsymn) October 31, 2014
The story about the ad circulated on Twitter and finally made it on Vox on Nov. 1.
- Right or Wrong, It’s Only Narendra Modi Who Matters
- Lok Sabha Election Results Live Updates: PM Modi, Amit Shah Meet L K Advani
- 'A New Morning For Amethi', Tweets Smriti Irani After Historic Win
- NDA’s TsuNamo Leaves Mahagathbandhan In Ruins In UP, Bihar
- Too Soon To Say If Imran Khan's Optimism About BJP Govt In India Is Correct: Pakistani Daily
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- US Applauds Indian Elections, Says, 'An Inspiration Around The World'
- No Mismatch In Paper Trail Machine Results With EVM Tally: Report
- Four New SC Judges Administered Oath Of Office By CJI Gogoi
- Navjot Singh Sidhu 'Inept', Intend To Change His Portfolio: Amarinder Singh
- Day After Zakir Musa's Encounter In Tral, Curfew Imposed In Parts Of Kashmir
- 'Great Things' In Store: Donald Trump Congratulates PM Modi For Election Win
- In His Maiden Lok Sabha Poll, Ravi Shankar Prasad Defeats Shatrughan Sinha By Over 2.84 Lakh Votes
- Looking Back: 10 Greatest Cricket World Cup Matches