Behind The Simmering Unrest In Uttar Pradesh
It was on this day, 133 years ago that Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi’s first act of civil disobedience happened in South Africa.
- Speaking of disobedience of another kind, the violence in Mathura courtesy the Netaji cult may be over but the holy souls of Vrindavan are not letting the police cremate their bodies. A report in the Tribune today also has the BJP alleging that the ammunition used in the episode by the cult’s members was that of the UP police. And all is not well for the ruling Samajwadi Party in the state with Dadri seemingly simmering again.
- And staying with Uttar Pradesh in news that will have Mark Zuckerberg grinning, four tobacco vendors outside a school in Sector 34, Noida, were challaned after a user complained on FB and tagged the state Tobacco Control Board.
- But the Congress isn’t smiling aside from Rahul Gandhi who appears permanently chuffed. There are those among the party like Jairam Ramesh and Digvijay Singh pushing him into the President’s chair, and then those who have quit. Mumbai strongman Gurdas Kamat and Chhatisgarh’s Ajit Jogi are in the latter list.
- The Deccan Chronicle likes scaring people like me based in the capital. “Dawood Ibrahim plotting to blast Delhi” is just the headline you like early morning.
- And speaking of early morning, the Rajasthan government has a novel idea for its teachers as a pre-breakfast routing at 0500 hours. The district education department in the CM’s home town has asked govt teachers to help with curbing open defecation and click pictures of those in violation. We are not making this up: This will be one dirty Whatsapp group
And in other news from ze most powerful country in the world, the US of A has a woman being the Presidential nominee from a major political party for the first time. This is Hilary Clinton, the other is Donald Drumpf.
- Amit Shah Reiterates 'NRC Across India'; Mamata Says Won't Allow In Bengal
- 'Will Provide Stable Maha Govt': Cong Leader After Meeting With NCP; Alliance With Sena Likely
- Situation Normal In J&K, Internet Curbs To Be Lifted At Appropriate Time: Amit Shah
- JNU Needs World-Class Leadership, Not Ideological Mediocrity
- SEBI Tightens Disclosure Norms On Loan Default, Doubles Minimum PMS Investment Size
- Given Opportunity, BSNL Can Emerge As Top Telecom Company From Turmoil
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- Bollywood’s Double Whammy For Bald People Is Regressive, Not Cool
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Delhi Air Quality Dips To 'Very Poor', Likely To Plummet To 'Severe' Levels
- Amid Growing Maharashtra Mystery, Sharad Pawar Meets PM Modi
- Why Can't Muslims Teach Sanskrit? Paresh Rawal Invokes Md Rafi
- European MPs Came On 'Private Visit', Got Sense Of Terrorist Threat To J&K: MHA
- India v WI: Rohit's Workload To Be Discussed, Dhawan May Be On Trial
- Another Well-Deserved Accolade For Kohli, This Time Off The Field
- Students Adamant On Full Rollback Of Fee Hike, Ministry Team To Visit Campus
- BJP Leader Thrown Out Of Asia Pacific Summit For Disrupting Speech On J&K