Bail For Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi
A Pakistani court has granted bail to LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, a key planner of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, just a day after Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said there is no 'good' and 'bad' Taliban.
"Anti-Terrorism Court Islamabad Judge Kausar Abbas Zaidi today granted bail to Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi," prosecution chief Chaudhry Azhar told PTI.
54-year-old Lakhvi and six others had filed bail applications yesterday in the midst of a lawyers strike to condemn the Peshawar school massacre that left 148 people, mostly children, dead.
Azhar said the prosecution had to produce more witnesses before this decision had come which they were not expecting.
"We were not expecting this decision as we have to produce a good number of witnesses in the case. We are awaiting the court's detailed order before giving further comment on the decision," he said.
Lakhvi's counsel advocate Raja Rizwan Abbasi told PTI that the court had granted bail as "evidence against Lakhvi was deficient".
Abbasi said the defence would soon file bail applications of the other six accused— Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younis Anjum— facing trial at the Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.
The in-camera hearing of the case was held at Adiala Jail Rawalpindi due to security concerns.
The news was bound to create outrage in India, and Twitter was no different. Eventually,as this Tweet sums it up:
Some of the reactions on Twitter:
- 6-10 Pak Soldiers Killed, 3 Terror Camps Destroyed In PoK By Indian Forces: Army Chief
- Will Prepare Blueprint For Companies Looking Beyond China: Sitharaman
- In Meet With Yogi, Kamlesh's Family Demands Capital Punishment For Murderers
- Great Content The Reason For Web Series' Success: Sujoy Ghosh
- India v South Africa, Ranchi Test: Pacers Rock SA After Rohit 212
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- 'Why So Many Rallies In Maharashtra If...': Shiv Sena Asks CM Fadnavis
- 'I Celebrate Women Who Resist Urge To Live As Victims': Smriti Irani
- London Mayor Condemns Plans To Hold Anti-India March Over Kashmir Issue
- No Fan Of Noise, But Outlook Wants To Be Heard: Ruben Banerjee
- DU Professor's Body Found On Rail Tracks, Mother Too Found Dead
- 'These Bigots Are Blinded By...': Rahul Slams Goyal Over Anti-Abhijit Banerjee Comment
- ISL, Kerala Blasters 2 - 1 ATK: Ogbeche Double Seals Thrilling Victory
- WATCH: Jaw-Dropping Sixes! Umesh Yadav Lays Waste To South Africa