Australian Woman Takes On Islamophobia
An Australian woman, aboard a train in Sydney, stood up for a Muslim woman who was allegedly being harassed for wearing a hijab.
A report in the Independent says:
Stacey Eden claimed an older woman was accusing the unidentified Muslim woman and the man sat next to her of being an Isis supporter because she was wearing a hijab.
Ms Eden, from Sydney, said the alleged tirade began "a good ten minutes" before she started filming the woman, later uploading the video on to her Facebook page.
The footage shows the older woman who has not been named so far, sitting opposite to the Muslim woman on the train, asking "why do you wear it [a hijab] for a man that marries a six year-old girl?"
The couple chose to remain silent but Eden responded: "She wears it for herself, OK? She wears it because she wants to be modest with her body, not because of people like you who are going to sit there and disrespect her."
The older woman continued: :Your kids behead people in Syria. […] Read the newspapers, 148 people, Christians murdered in Kenya. They’re killing each other in Syria."
Eden interrupted again at this point, telling her angrily: "Don't sit there disrespecting someone that has nothing to do with it. Have some respect. If you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything."
The video has gone viral and Stacey Eden has been praised for raising her voice against Islamophobia and racism.
In December 2014, after several people were taken hostage by an armed man at a popular cafe in Sydney and forced to display an Islamic flag, Australians had come up with a heart warming reaction on social media in the face of adversity.
In a show of solidarity against a possible racist backlash on the Muslim community in Australia, #illridewithyou started as a movement to protect Muslims against Islamophobia.
- Pall Of Gloom Envelopes Congress HQ; Disbelief And Cautious Optimism Among Leaders
- Of Same-Sex Relationships And Social Mindsets: Why India Needs More Dutee Chands
- TDP Chief Naidu, Mamata Discuss Formation Of Non-BJP Govt With Congress Support
- After Exit Polls, Mayawati Meets Akhilesh, But No Meeting With Congress
- TMC Office Wears Deserted Look Day After Exit Polls Paint Bengal Saffron
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- BJP Wants Kamal Nath Govt To Prove Majority, Writes To Governor
- Buoyed By Exit Polls, BJP Workers Gear Up For Celebrations On May 23
- Exit Polls Not Final Results, But Indicate BJP Will Come To Power: Nitin Gadkari
- After Game Of Thrones Finale, Here's What Delhi Metro Tells Commuters
- Vivek Oberoi's Exit Poll Meme Involves Aishwarya, Salman And Abhishek; Sparks Row
- Will Observe Maun Vrat To Atone For Hurtful Remarks, Says Pragya Singh Thakur
- Though Exit Polls Are Favourable, DMK's Stalin Says Will Wait For May 23
- Delhi Lok Sabha Poll Results May Get Delayed By 5-6 Hours: CEO