Arundhati Roy On L'Affaire Tarun Tejpal
Arundhati Roy speaks to the BBC's Sanjay Majumder:
Q: What was your reaction when you first heard about the accusations against Tarun Tejpal, as someone who knows him and is familiar with Tehelka?
A: Heartbreak. I think all of us are already braced for what we know is going to be mass hysteria in the media in which everybody is just not given time or place to think.
The fact is that what has been alleged against him is a pretty serious crime and you do have to admire the fact that a young colleague did have the courage to stand up and say what happened to her which isn't normally the case.
Yet, because of what happened in the [Delhi] gang rape last December, there is a lynch mob that is howling in a maximalist way. I think what we miss is a real addressing of the problem. On the one hand we are talking about sexual harassment, molestation and rape being a phenomenon which very many women go through. Is this media hysteria going to address the problem?
Read the full interview at the BBC website: Q&A: Arundhati Roy on India editor 'sex case'
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- With P. Chidambaram's Arrest, His Anticipatory Bail Plea Before SC Rendered Infructuous
- Never Met Peter Or Indrani Mukerjea, We Are Being Targeted: Karti Chidambaram
- Dalits' Protest Against Demolition Of Delhi Temple Turns Violent; Chandrashekhar Azad Among 50 Detained
- INX Media Case: 20 Questions CBI Asked P Chidambaram
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Karti Chidambaram Denies Meeting Peter, Indrani Mukherjea In INX Media Case
- Pakistan Trying To Provoke Kashmiris, No Immediate Plan To Withdraw Troops: Kishan Reddy On J&K
- MNS Chief Raj Thackeray To Appear Before ED Today In IL&FS Money Laundering Case
- Delhi Temple Demolition: Priyanka Gandhi Hits Out At BJP Govt Over Lathi Charge On Dalit Protesters
- Punjab, Assam And Mizoram Accords Under Rajiv Gandhi Strengthened Indian Union: Rahul Gandhi
- NDA Candidate Opposite Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE In Cheque Bounce Case
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- SL Vs NZ, Live, 1st Test, Day 1: Rain Delays Match At P. Sara Oval