Arundhati Roy On L'Affaire Tarun Tejpal
Arundhati Roy speaks to the BBC's Sanjay Majumder:
Q: What was your reaction when you first heard about the accusations against Tarun Tejpal, as someone who knows him and is familiar with Tehelka?
A: Heartbreak. I think all of us are already braced for what we know is going to be mass hysteria in the media in which everybody is just not given time or place to think.
The fact is that what has been alleged against him is a pretty serious crime and you do have to admire the fact that a young colleague did have the courage to stand up and say what happened to her which isn't normally the case.
Yet, because of what happened in the [Delhi] gang rape last December, there is a lynch mob that is howling in a maximalist way. I think what we miss is a real addressing of the problem. On the one hand we are talking about sexual harassment, molestation and rape being a phenomenon which very many women go through. Is this media hysteria going to address the problem?
Read the full interview at the BBC website: Q&A: Arundhati Roy on India editor 'sex case'
- Confident Modi Defeats Rahul's Hug And Wink In Trust Vote
- No-Confidence Motion A Result Of Opposition's 'Arrogance': PM Modi
- Rafale Deal Is Classified Information: France On Rahul Gandhi's Claims In Lok Sabha
- Indian Railways Supplies Contaminated Water
- Beyond Hobby: How Amateur Operators Are Turning Ham Radio Socially Useful
- When Micro Irrigation Becomes Urine-Fed Under The Currents Of Translation
- The Familiar Global Eeriness of The Job
- World Cup 2018: Here Are Key Takeaways From The Championship
- Will Soap Nut Trees Save Bangalore's Bellandur Lake That Catches Fire?
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED