Arundhati Roy On L'Affaire Tarun Tejpal
Arundhati Roy speaks to the BBC's Sanjay Majumder:
Q: What was your reaction when you first heard about the accusations against Tarun Tejpal, as someone who knows him and is familiar with Tehelka?
A: Heartbreak. I think all of us are already braced for what we know is going to be mass hysteria in the media in which everybody is just not given time or place to think.
The fact is that what has been alleged against him is a pretty serious crime and you do have to admire the fact that a young colleague did have the courage to stand up and say what happened to her which isn't normally the case.
Yet, because of what happened in the [Delhi] gang rape last December, there is a lynch mob that is howling in a maximalist way. I think what we miss is a real addressing of the problem. On the one hand we are talking about sexual harassment, molestation and rape being a phenomenon which very many women go through. Is this media hysteria going to address the problem?
Read the full interview at the BBC website: Q&A: Arundhati Roy on India editor 'sex case'
- The Mahagathbandhan Of Cinema And Electoral Politics
- Congress MLA Who Attacked Colleague Booked For Attempt To Murder, Suspended From Party
- Karnataka Seer Shivakumara Swami Dies At 111
- Shiv Sena, Cong Target PM Over Ridiculing Oppn Unity; Is It Modi Vs Chaos? Asks Jaitley
- We Have A Settled And Balanced Team That Will Be Competitive Anywhere: Sachin Tendulkar
- Liberal Beats Of Mumbai Dance Bars: Social Progress, Morality And Women
- Only Thing That Can Ground Naveen Patnaik This Time Is ‘Problem Of Plenty’
- What Will Be The Effect Of Alliances Against BJP Across India
- Two Mega Film Releases Trigger A Wave Of Crazy Fan Behaviour In Tamil Nadu
- Politics And Public Memory In Kashmir
- Sabarimala Issue May Help BJP Grow In Kerala But Social Reform Is Inevitable
- Cyber Expert Claims India's 2014 General Election Was 'Rigged' Through EVM Hacking
- Anna Hazare Says Lokpal Would Have Prevented Rafale 'Scam', Announces Indefinite Hunger Strike
- Nothing Wrong In Sadhana Singh's Remark Against Mayawati: BJP MLA
- RSS Affiliates Warn Against Farm Loan Waiver In Modi Govt's Interim Budget
- Congress Corporator Wants Kareena Kapoor To Contest From Bhopal LS Seat. 'Entertaining', Says BJP
- Meghalaya Mine Tragedy: Navy Abandons Operation To Retrieve Body Of Dead Miner
- Bollywood Actress Robbed, Assaulted By 'Thak Thak' Gang In Delhi
- Ajit Doval's Son Sues News Magazine, Jairam Ramesh For Criminal Defamation Over Article