Arundhati Roy On India's Rape Culture
Sunil Khilnani in The Times of India: If we truly want to learn from the Delhi gang rape, we will dig to the roots of the problem
...in a recent piece published in Bloomberg News, journalist Lisa Beyer drew attention to an extraordinary set of figures. According to UN statistics, Sweden has 63 rapes annually per 1,00,000 people, the UK 29, the US 27. India has 1.8. Such statistics make clear that India's rape problem begins well before the stage of sentencing and punishment. The vast majority of rape crimes against women are not reported.
Sometimes victims are held back by fear, shame, or mistrust of a police force whose own personnel are too often involved in such crimes themselves — sometimes, against the very victims who seek their intervention and protection. Other times, the police ask victims' families for money in return for filing a charge. And of the small percentage of rape charges that are registered, barely more than a quarter of the perpetrators are actually convicted.
- Will Raj Thackeray's Aggressive Stance Against PM Modi Benefit Him In Assembly Polls?
- Arun Jaitley Promised To Look Into Jet Airways' Issue: CEO Vinay Dube
- EC Sends Notice To Sidhu For Warning Muslims About Division Of Votes In Bihar Rally
- IPL 2019, DC Vs KXIP: Skipper Iyer Anchors Delhi's Successful Chase Against Punjab
- Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur’s Candidature An Affront To The Hindus
- Chennai’s Famous Historian S. Muthiah Is No More
- 'Let's Ask The Congress Spokesperson...Wait, Where's The Congress Spokesperson? We Just Lost The Link'
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- The Politics Of Degrees: Is It Important That Leaders Be Well Educated?
- Ole Navigates Tricky Territory As Manchester United's Season Hits Crunch-Time
- Free Trips And The Art Of Looting Public Money By Indian Sports Administrators
- Election Commission Orders Eros Now To Stop Streaming Web Series On PM Narendra Modi
- PM Modi Riding On TINA Factor, Groundswell In His Favour, Says Jaitley In New Blog
- '2014 Fight Was Tougher, No Modi Wave This Time', Says Shashi Tharoor
- Blog | Chennai’s Famous Historian S. Muthiah Is No More
- EC Issues Notice To Sadhvi Pragya On Her Remarks Against Hemant Karkare
- SpiceJet Recruits 500 Jet Airways Employees
- Formed Alliance With BJP Because We Want PM Who Can Attack Pak: Uddhav Thackeray
- Missing Poll Officer's Wife Says Husband Was Not Depressed