Arundhati Roy On India's Rape Culture
Sunil Khilnani in The Times of India: If we truly want to learn from the Delhi gang rape, we will dig to the roots of the problem
...in a recent piece published in Bloomberg News, journalist Lisa Beyer drew attention to an extraordinary set of figures. According to UN statistics, Sweden has 63 rapes annually per 1,00,000 people, the UK 29, the US 27. India has 1.8. Such statistics make clear that India's rape problem begins well before the stage of sentencing and punishment. The vast majority of rape crimes against women are not reported.
Sometimes victims are held back by fear, shame, or mistrust of a police force whose own personnel are too often involved in such crimes themselves — sometimes, against the very victims who seek their intervention and protection. Other times, the police ask victims' families for money in return for filing a charge. And of the small percentage of rape charges that are registered, barely more than a quarter of the perpetrators are actually convicted.
- Chilli Powder Thrown At CM Arvind Kejriwal Inside Delhi Secretariat
- Sushma Swaraj Says Won’t Contest 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, Cites Health Reasons
- Mizoram Elections: The Ten Commandments
- 'None Of You Deserve Any Hearing': SC Miffed Over Leak Of CBI Director Alok Verma's Reply
- Sabarimala Row: Kerala Govt Treating Ayyappa Devotees Like 'Gulag Inmates', Says Amit Shah
- Should Rahul Gandhi Say He Is Not A PM Candidate?
- How Calcutta Women Used Humour To Handle Sexual Harassment Before #MeToo
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- WATCH: BJP MLA Greeted With Garland Of Shoes In Poll-Bound Madhya Pradesh
- Chhattisgarh Assembly Elections: 45.2% Voter Turnout Till 2:55 PM, Voting Underway
- 'Smash Brahminical Patriarchy' Placard Spoils Twitter Boss Jack Dorsey's India Visit
- Viral Video: New Zealand Players Celebrate Thrilling Four-Run Win Over Pakistan With Bhangra Dance
- Political, Monetary Gains Were Dual Motives In Sohrabuddin's Killing: Investigating Officer To Court
- Jawan Killed, 4 Terrorists Shot Dead In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Shopian
- Can States Opt Out Of General Consent To CBI To Conduct Corruption Probes?
- Tiger Mahavir Died Of Multiple Organ Failure, Says Post-Mortem Report