Arundhati Roy On India's Rape Culture
Sunil Khilnani in The Times of India: If we truly want to learn from the Delhi gang rape, we will dig to the roots of the problem
...in a recent piece published in Bloomberg News, journalist Lisa Beyer drew attention to an extraordinary set of figures. According to UN statistics, Sweden has 63 rapes annually per 1,00,000 people, the UK 29, the US 27. India has 1.8. Such statistics make clear that India's rape problem begins well before the stage of sentencing and punishment. The vast majority of rape crimes against women are not reported.
Sometimes victims are held back by fear, shame, or mistrust of a police force whose own personnel are too often involved in such crimes themselves — sometimes, against the very victims who seek their intervention and protection. Other times, the police ask victims' families for money in return for filing a charge. And of the small percentage of rape charges that are registered, barely more than a quarter of the perpetrators are actually convicted.
- Asia Cup: India Get Pakistan Demolition Job Done, Win Super Four Match By Nine Wickets
- Two TDP Leaders Shot Dead By Maoists In Andhra Pradesh
- PM Modi Launches AB-PMJAY, World's Largest State-Run Healthcare Programme
- Rafale Deal: Nuts And Bolts Of Dassault’s Offset Partner
- What? Where? Why? A Guide To Universities And Business Schools Abroad
- The Fitness Of An Actress Is No Virtue To Be Extolled By Misogynistic Bollywood
- Why Railways' Largest Recruitment Drive May Fail To Address Passenger Safety Concerns
- Article 35A: An Unprecedented Situation In Kashmir
- Four Months Of Kumaraswami Govt: Karnataka Power Games Carry On
- Prashant Kishor No Exception, Nitish Has Always Relied On 'Apolitical' Advisors
- With A Formidable BJP, Is Mamata Worried About Hindu Votes?
- Closely Monitoring Financial Markets, Ready To Take Actions: RBI
- Navy Aircraft Locates Vessel Of Injured Naval Officer Abhilash Tomy
- No Question Of Scrapping Rafale Deal:Jaitley
- Rupee Fall Due To Large Amount Of Black Money Leaving The Country: Swamy
- Rawari Gangrape: Two Prime Accused, Including Army Man, Arrested
- Nun Who Took Part In Protest Against Bishop Asked To Keep Away From Church Duties
- WhatsApp Appoints Grievance Officer For India To Curb Fake News
- Manohar Parrikar Will Continue To Be Goa Chief Minister: Amit Shah