All In The Tongue
The Central Board for film certification in India has released a list of Hindi and English words that it does not want used in any certification category.
The list has all the usual suspects; commonly used English cuss words and their Hindi counterparts. The list also includes an ambiguous ban on verbs that may have sexual connotations, violence against women, blooshed and anything that has double meanings.
The list applies to all films in regional languages as well and the Censor Board has copied the list to its regional offices.
Ironically, this list does not contain any 'objectionable' words from any of the regional languages. The Censor Board clearly seems to be under the impression that Hindi is the only Indian language in which people abuse or perhaps it believes that Hindi is the only language that exists in India.
Just to help the Censor Board out with some research, we list some expletives in regional languages, which millions of people in India use in their everyday lives and which perhaps the Censor Board would like to outrage over.
- Kusu Koodhi
- Bin Gotyaachaya
- Aai Ghalya
- Hui thu
- Bhosad Pappu
- Khankir Pola/Chhele (depending on whether you are a Baangaal or a Ghotee)
- Baal chhera
One must also add here that Cinema or any form of art is meant to be a reflection of society and the words mentioned in the list are used regularly by so many. If films are to truly portray life, how can a chunk of vocabulary be eliminated completely?
Do tell us, what other words from regional languages, according to you, would the Censor Board rave about?
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping Take Stroll, Attend Cultural Performances In Mamallapuram
- Incarcerated Omar Abdullah Meets His Sons After 68 Days
- China's Support Helps Imran Khan Strut Back To Pakistan
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- India v South Africa, Pune Test: Kohli, Bowlers Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- Nobel Peace Prize 2019 Awarded To Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed Ali
- Govt's Advt In J&K Newspapers Asks People To Resume Normal Life
- Kohli 1st Indian To Score 7 Double Tons
- A 'Clerical Error' Leading To Musical Chairs In Congress' North-East Units
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- Postpaid Mobile Service Likely To Resume In Kashmir From Saturday
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- Indian Premier League: Anil Kumble Named Head Coach Of Kings XI Punjab