All About Sambar
DNA recently carried a piece on the history and diversity of sambar, the South Indian staple.
The piece is strewn with little bits of information that most people don't know about.
For instance, did you know that the quintessentially Tamilian sambhar was a Maratha creation?
The piece claims:
A family tradition – of sorts – is believed to have introduced sambar to the world. The story (with many deviations) goes that Shahuji Bhonsle, second Maratha ruler of Thanjavur (who reigned from 1684-1712), was to welcome cousin Sambhaji – son of Shivaji – to his palace. But preparations for a royal feast were hindered as kokum, used for Maharashtrian amti, was unavailable. So were supplies like moong dal, in whose place toor dal was used.
The article also talks about how sambar is not a homogeneous thing. It has many variants found across Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. In fact, 'sambar' is rarely called so in most Tamilian homes.
kuzhambu, an umbrella term meaning 'gravy', is commonly used. Especially when there's rice, rather than idli or dosa, on the plate. "As for varieties, there's paruppu urundai sambar/kuzhambu, in which the dal is balled into kofta-like dumplings and cooked in the masala. And muttai kuzhambu – egg sambar
- BJP's First List Of Candidates Has A Message For Opposition Parties
- BJP Releases First List, PM To Contest From Varanasi, Amit Shah From Gandhinagar
- Amit Shah To Contest Lok Sabha Polls From Gandhinagar, Replaces LK Advani
- Will Jet Airways Survive The Financial Turbulence?
- Kashmir Police Shift ‘Custodial Killing’ Probe Case To Pulwama; Extensive Injuries Seen On Body
- The Deteriorating State Of Modern Music
- Tarun Gogoi Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hain
- Kohli Is Already An Era-Defining Genius, Don't Read Further
- With Teni Da's Demise, Comes An End Of An Era In Bengali Films
- New Zealand Massacre: Colonisation, Immigration, And White Man's Victimhood
- Solskjaer’s Magical Case For Manchester United Exceptionalism
- At Least 40 Dead As Overloaded Ferry Sinks In Tigris Near Mosul, Iraq
- Nothing Friendly About 'Friendly Contest' Between NC And Congress In Kashmir
- 'Proud Day For Criminal justice System': Kapil Sibal's Sarcastic Jibe On Samjhauta Blast Case
- 6 Days After Christchurch Attack, New Zealand PM Announces Ban On Assault Rifles
- Encounter Underway Between Militants And Security Forces In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- Chhattisgarh A Hard Fort To Conquer For BJP
- Facebook Admits Storing Passwords In Plain Text
- Two Policemen Injured In Grenade Attack In Jammu And Kashmir's Sopore