'A Set Of Thuggish Weaklings'
That's what, says Pratap Bhanu Mehta in the Indian Express, the government's midnight raid on Baba Ramdev and his supporters has made the state look like:
Rahul Gandhi had recently asked of Mayawati: why was Section 144 imposed in Bhatta-Parsaul if she had nothing to hide? He would do better to direct this question at his own government. Such a premature use of prohibitory orders only exposes the weakness of the Congress government; it does nothing to project its authority. The problem is not that the Congress has “encouraged” civil society by caving in. The problem is that the party itself tries to act as if it were some kind of NGO, distant from government. The Congress started with cravenness, then descended to impunity. Then it made the mistake of treating citizens like idiots. Instead of presenting a clear, firm authoritative explanation that was half plausible, it let loose on the airwaves Digvijaya Singh, who went on making one unbelievable claim after the other. One can dismiss his rantings. But they have become symptomatic of the way the Congress functions. They reveal how it continues to undermine the state.
More at the Indian Express
- 'We Listen To Criticism. We Respond ': Sitharaman After Rahul Bajaj-Amit Shah Q&A
- 'Are Infiltrators Your Cousins?' Amit Shah Asks Rahul Gandhi At Jharkhand Rally
- Security Breach At Priyanka's Residence, Unknown Persons Barged In To Click Selfie
- PM Modi Insisted We Work Together, I Refused: NCP Chief Sharad Pawar
- On 'Rising Incidents' Of Sexual Assault, NHRC Issues Notices To State, Central Govts
- How Naveen Patnaik Is Playing The Games To Make Odisha A Soft Power
- A Precursor To 'Resort Politics' That Began In 1984 As NTR Foiled Indira's Bid To Dethrone Him
- Given Opportunity, BSNL Can Emerge As Top Telecom Company From Turmoil
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- The BHU Conundrum: Scholar, Practitioner, Philosopher Or Believer?
- Asked Cong Leaders To Raise Issues Under BJP Govt In MP: Sumitra Mahajan
- 'Nirbala' Is A Better Name For Nirmala Sitharaman: Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury
- 'Should Be Lynched': Jaya Bachchan On Telanagana Rape-Murder Case Accused
- GDP Is No 'Bible Or Ramayana' To Judge Economy: BJP MP
- Fadnavis Made CM For 80 Hrs To 'Protect' Rs 40K Cr Central Fund: BJP MP
- Yohan Blake Wants To Be India's Sprint Coach After Tokyo Olympics
- ISL: Last-Gasp Strike Helps NorthEast Share Spoils With Jamshedpur