181: The Hopeless, Helpless Help-Line
The home ministry had announced the special 181 Helpline number for women with much hype as a part of the 'Action taken by Government in Delhi Rape Case'. Kavita an activist with the Stree Mukti League described her ordeal with this helpline in Hindi, on January 2, 2013 on her blog - 'Der Raat ke Raag' and on Sanhati. An update was published on her blog on January 5, 2013 and now Shuddhabrata Sengupta has translated it on Kafila:
After several attempts, finally, we were able to get through to the new Delhi police helpline number 181 at 9:03 pm that night. The person at the other end of the line at 181 told us that our complaint has been filed, but that they were not in a position to give us a tracking number for ‘follow up’ on the complaint. To obtain this number, we were told to call at 12 pm the following day. Upon insistence, we were given another two numbers – 27891666 and 1096. We were told that we could try calling on these two numbers ( 27891666 and 1096) We called several times on 1096 (the dedicated helpline number for reporting stalkers and obscene callers) but each time we got a message that we had reached an ‘invalid’ number. Finally, at 9:11 pm, we got through to 297891666, (the other number that we had been given by the policeman) and we were given a complaint tracking number – 36A-1. Despite this, the obscene and threatening calls from 8505898894 continued. Sickened by this continuing harassment, I tried calling again on 181. I got through once. But the person who received the phone cut the call without letting me finish what I was saying. I tried calling 181 several times after that, but no one picked up the phone.
The next morning, I called 181 at 9:17 am and 9:18 am. But there was no response. Finally, I called the chief public relations officer of Delhi Police, Rajan Bhagat, at 9:30 am on his mobile number. I told him all that had happened and gave him the complaint tracking number that I had been given the night before. I told him that I am a social activist and a journalist. He told me that I should register a complaint on 1096 and give him the complaint number. Subsequently, I called 1096 from three different phones but I still got the ‘invalid number’ message. When I called Rajan Bhagat again to tell him that this is what had happened, he shrugged the matter off by sang that what I was saying was simply not possible. When I told him that I had already filed a complaint last night, and that I had given him the complaint number, and asked why he could not follow up on the basis of last night’s complaint, he cut the phone.
Then I went to the Delhi Police website and looked up an ‘alternative number’ for the 1096 helpline number. This ‘alternative number’ is 27894455. When I called this number, I got through to a police-woman. She was the same lady who I had spoken to when I called the number (297891666) that I was given by the person manning 181 the previous evening. She told me that the process of ‘number tracing’ could take 2-3 days, because the police has to send an email to the phone company, and the phone company takes time to respond, etc., etc...
Read the full translation at Kafila
- India's Chanakyas | Why 'Brother' Taranga Gogoi Calls Himanta Biswa Sarma A Superman
- Jet Airways Can Find Its Wings Again
- Rahul Gandhi Spells Out LS Victory Strategy, Rs 72000 Per Annum Income Guarantee For India's Poor
- IPL 2019: Ashwin Mankading Controversy Overshadows Punjab's Win Over Rajasthan
- PM Modi Biopic Producer Justifies Use Of Javed Akhtar's Name
- Is Forfeiture Of Deposits Doing More Harm Than Good To Indian Democracy?
- The Deteriorating State Of Modern Music
- Tarun Gogoi Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hain
- Kohli Is Already An Era-Defining Genius, Don't Read Further
- With Teni Da's Demise, Comes An End Of An Era In Bengali Films
- New Zealand Massacre: Colonisation, Immigration, And White Man's Victimhood
- JNU VC Accuses Students Of Breaking Into His Home, 'Terrorising' Wife
- TMC Forms Alliance With Kamal Haasan's Party for LS polls
- Jet Airways Founder Naresh Goyal, Wife Resign Amid Debt Crisis
- WATCH: Buttler Mankaded! Ashwin's Trickery Fails To Impress Indian Fans
- How Raju Bista's Candidature Is Fomenting Discontent In The Darjeeling Hills
- Ex-Telecom Minister Sukh Ram Rejoins Congress
- People 'Unsatisfied' With Government Performance: Survey
- 45 Candidates File Nomination For 5 Lok Sabha Seats In Assam