To A Political Leader
Long years those hands, unfriended and unfree,
Have clawed into night's dark unyielding breast
As straws might dash themselves against a sea,
Or butterflies assail a mountain-crest:
Till now that dark and flint-hard breast of night
Has felt so many gashes that all round,
Look where you will, is woven a web of light,
And from far off the morning's heartbeats sound.
The people's hands have been your coat of mail,
Your wealth: what else has lent you strength, but they?
You do not wish this darkness to prevail,
Yet wish those hands lopped off, and the new day,
Now throbbing in its eastern ambush, doomed
Under night's iron corpse to lie entombed.
Siyaasii Leader Ke Naam
Saal-haa-saal ye be-aasraa, jakRe hu'e haat
Raat ke sakht o siya siine meN paiwast rahe,
Jis tarah. tinkaa samundar se ho sargarm-e-satez,
Jis tarah. tiitrii kuhsaar pe yalghaar kare;
Aur ab raat ke sangiN o siyaa siine meN
Itne gha'o haiN, ke jis simt nazar jaati hai
Jaa-ba-jaa nuur-ne ek jaal-saa bun-rakhaa hai,
Duur se subh. ki dhaRkan kii sada aati hai.
Teraa sarmayaa, terii aas yehii hat to haiN,
Aur kuchh hai bhii tere paas? Yehii hat to haiN.
Tujhko manzuur nahiN ghalbaa-e-zulmat, lekin
Tujhko manzuur hai ye haath qalam ho-ja'eN,
Aur mashriq kii kamiiN-gah meN dhaRaktaa hu'a din
Raat kii aahanii maiyat ke tale dab-jaa`e!
To A Political Leader (Literal Translation)
Year by year these unprotected, bound hands
Have remained fixed in the hard, black bosom of night,
As a straw may be ardent in strife with the sea,
As a butterfly may make an attack on a mountain;
And now in the stony and black bosom of night
There are so many wounds, that whichever way the eye goes
Everywhere light has woven a sort of web,
From afar the sound of the throbbing of dawn cones.
Your wealth, your hope, are these same hands_
Have you anything else? it is these same hands.
You do not desire the victory of darkness, but
You desire that these hands be cut off,
And that day, throbbing in the ambuscade of the east,
Sink under the iron corpse of night!
- Dhinakaran Case: Delhi Police Quiz Men On Cash Trail Trajectory
- 30 Farmers Committed Suicide in 2016-17: TN Govt
- Male Chauvinism Can't Be: SC
- Global Press Freedom At 13-Year Low: Survey
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Buyers Denied Flat in Mumbai for Being Non-Vegetarian, Alleges MNS
- After Regal, Shiela's Single Screen Journey Comes To An End
- Hindu Temple Vandalised In Pakistan, Says Report
- Key Suspect Of Jayalalithaa's Driver Murder Case Killed
- Don't Politicise Triple Talaq, Urges Prime Minister Modi
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai Received Nearly Rs 1285 Crore As Salary Last Year
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- In The Biggest Reshuffle Of IAS And IPS Officers, Adityanath Shifts Out Officer Who Rankled BJP Lawmaker
- Enraged By Exorbitant Ticket Price, Bahubali Fans In US Say They Will Wait For A Few Days
- "There Is No Content, No Language, Nothing Which One Can Discuss.": Delhi University Teachers On Chetan Bhagat's Books
- Scientists Find Nine Million Years Old Ape Fossils In Himachal