Private Plane, 1 Lakh Guests: The Lavish Wedding Of MP Who Proposed Bill To Cap Marriage Expenditure
Ranjeet Rajan, the Congress MP, who proposed a private members' bill to cap expenditure on marriages, is back in the spotlight.
A report by Jansatta claims that Ranjan in her marriage to MP Pappu Yadav, in 1994, arrived from Jalandhar to Purnea with her family in a chartered plane. It has been reported that her wedding happened on a massive scale, with over 1 Lakh people as guests and chefs specially called from outside the city.
Quoting Santosh Yadav, the Deputy Mayor of Purnea Development Authority, the report says that the wedding arrangements were made in a 200 acre land and elephants and horses took part in the celebration as well. The claim contradicts Rajan's views presented in the Lok Sabha, where she was quoted as saying, "Unfortunately, these days a tendency of celebrating marriages with pomp and show and spending lavishly is growing in the country."
Ranjan who drives a Harley Davidson, proposed a bill in the Lok Sabha seeking to put a limit on the number of guests to be invited and dishes to be served in weddings to check 'show of wealth'.
"These days, marriages are more about showing off your wealth and as a result, poor families are under tremendous social pressure to spend more. This is needed to be checked as it is not good for society at large," she had said, citing reasons to pass the bill.
- SC Seeks EC's Response
- Indian Woman, Son Found Murdered in US, Probe Launched
- Should Sidhu Be Allowed to Multitask?
- Aadhaar Not Needed For Mid-Day Meals
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Govt Staff in Bareilly Barred From Wearing Jeans, T-Shirts at Work
- Release Funds to State Bodies for Holding Matches: SC Tells BCCI
- 1984 Riots: SC Asks Govt to Give Files of 199 'Closed' Cases
- Counter-Terrorist Operations Claimed 92 Soldiers in J&K Since 2015: Govt
- PM Modi Calls Up Theresa May Over Terror Attack
- Dr Randeep Guleria Appointed New Director of AIIMS-Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BSF Whistleblower Jawan Tej Bahadur Yadav Is Alive, Wife Denies Rumours Of Death
- What Do Copyright Experts Feel About Wrangle Between Ilayaraja And SPB?
- Bhagat Singh Not The First Or Last Revolutionary Killed By British. But Why Is He Remembered Even Today?
- Yogi Adityanath's Decision To Suspend Twitter Handle And Switch To Another One An Attempt To Erase His Past?