Private Plane, 1 Lakh Guests: The Lavish Wedding Of MP Who Proposed Bill To Cap Marriage Expenditure
Ranjeet Rajan, the Congress MP, who proposed a private members' bill to cap expenditure on marriages, is back in the spotlight.
A report by Jansatta claims that Ranjan in her marriage to MP Pappu Yadav, in 1994, arrived from Jalandhar to Purnea with her family in a chartered plane. It has been reported that her wedding happened on a massive scale, with over 1 Lakh people as guests and chefs specially called from outside the city.
Quoting Santosh Yadav, the Deputy Mayor of Purnea Development Authority, the report says that the wedding arrangements were made in a 200 acre land and elephants and horses took part in the celebration as well. The claim contradicts Rajan's views presented in the Lok Sabha, where she was quoted as saying, "Unfortunately, these days a tendency of celebrating marriages with pomp and show and spending lavishly is growing in the country."
Ranjan who drives a Harley Davidson, proposed a bill in the Lok Sabha seeking to put a limit on the number of guests to be invited and dishes to be served in weddings to check 'show of wealth'.
"These days, marriages are more about showing off your wealth and as a result, poor families are under tremendous social pressure to spend more. This is needed to be checked as it is not good for society at large," she had said, citing reasons to pass the bill.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- DU Professor Injured in Violence Hospitalised
- Fire Breaks Out At The Times Of India Building In New Delhi
- Kerala CM Retracts His Remark Denying Conspiracy in Assault on Actress
- Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Amidst Tiff With Media
- Pakistan Rangers Kill 4, Detain Over 600 Terror Suspects In 200 Search Operations
- Maharashtra: Nearly 350 Students In Custody,18 Others Arrested After Army Recruitment Board Papers Leaked
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BSF Jawan Tej Bahadur Questions PM Modi's Desire To Oust Corruption In Another Video
- Indian Techie’s Murder In US: Shooter Yelled 'Get Out Of My Country', Survivor Says ‘We're All Humans’
- There Will Be Mud
- India Wants UN Security Council Seat But Runs Shy Of International Criminal Court Facing Desertion