Private Plane, 1 Lakh Guests: The Lavish Wedding Of MP Who Proposed Bill To Cap Marriage Expenditure
Ranjeet Rajan, the Congress MP, who proposed a private members' bill to cap expenditure on marriages, is back in the spotlight.
A report by Jansatta claims that Ranjan in her marriage to MP Pappu Yadav, in 1994, arrived from Jalandhar to Purnea with her family in a chartered plane. It has been reported that her wedding happened on a massive scale, with over 1 Lakh people as guests and chefs specially called from outside the city.
Quoting Santosh Yadav, the Deputy Mayor of Purnea Development Authority, the report says that the wedding arrangements were made in a 200 acre land and elephants and horses took part in the celebration as well. The claim contradicts Rajan's views presented in the Lok Sabha, where she was quoted as saying, "Unfortunately, these days a tendency of celebrating marriages with pomp and show and spending lavishly is growing in the country."
Ranjan who drives a Harley Davidson, proposed a bill in the Lok Sabha seeking to put a limit on the number of guests to be invited and dishes to be served in weddings to check 'show of wealth'.
"These days, marriages are more about showing off your wealth and as a result, poor families are under tremendous social pressure to spend more. This is needed to be checked as it is not good for society at large," she had said, citing reasons to pass the bill.
- Justice Karnan Lodged in Kolkata Presidency Jail
- Janata Dal(U) Supports NDA's Presidential Candidate Ram Nath Kovind
- PM Modi Performs Asanas, Says 'Yoga Binding The World'
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Anil Kumble Steps Down As Head Coach Of Indian Cricket Team
- Arnab Goswami, You Are The Most Unethical Journalist I Have Ever Seen: Kerala MP’s Open Letter
- Among The Plebeian Booksellers Of Delhi, These Five Are A Class Apart
- SC Refuses To Grant Interim Bail To Justice Karnan, Might Serve Six Months In Jail