Youth Wearing T-Shirt With ISIS Symbol Held in Tamil Nadu
A 22-year-old youth was today taken into custody for questioning after a group photo of some youths wearing t-shirts with ISIS emblem appeared on a social networking site.
Abul Rahman has been taken into custody in connection with the photo which appeared during Ramazan period, Superintendent of Police P Mayilvahanan said.
However, Rahman told police that they did it to thank the ISIS for releasing Indian nurses from their captivity in strife-torn Iraq without harming them, the officer said.
Rahman also said they had only shared their gratefulness and happiness over the release of the nurses as ISIS was not a banned outfit in India, Mayilvahanan added.
He said the 'Q' branch and Intelligence Bureau are investigating the incident.
The photo was taken in front of a mosque at Thondi.
Initial investigation revealed that the person who took the photo had gone abroad and uploaded the picture on a social networking site.
The t-shirts were made by a company at Kader Pettai in Tiruppur district in Tamil Nadu, he said, adding, in all 100 such t-shirts had been made and of them 36 were worn by the group.
Rahman's friend Villavan had arranged to make the t-shirts, he said.
Police said the youths, who posed for the photo, did not have any links with any terrorist organisation, "but they are being monitored and have been warned severely."
"The mosque authorise had warned the youths against wearing such t-shirts. The youths had told them it was only a prank," an official of the Intelligence bureau said.
Officials said the picture had been withdrawn from the social networking site now.
They also said they have not found any hardcore supporters of the ISIS in Tamil Nadu.
FROM OUTLOOKterrorismNot a Pak-Afghan-bred radical, the new Islamic warrior could be a regular American guy, swayed by Al Qaeda,...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe second half of the month of Ramzan witnessed amore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESIn a major clampdown on Islamic radical groups, jumore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Killed, 17 Injured in Florida Nightclub Shooting Rampage
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Kejriwal Assails BJP Over Sidhu's Remark
- Parsi Population Dips by 22% Between 2001-2011
- AAP Failed on Women Security Front, Kejriwal Should Resign: BJP
- Wrestler Narsingh Yadav 'Framed', Says Congress Leader
- NIA Files Chargesheet Against Three Men With Alleged ISIS Links
- Not Liable to Repay Rs 6000 Cr Debt Due to Breach of Terms: KFA
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED