Yeddyurappa's Son to Contest Assembly Bypoll
Former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa's son B Y Raghavendra will contest from Shikaripur constituency, which the state BJP strongman had represented, in the August 21 by-elections being held for three seats.
Yeddyurappa had vacated Shikaripura seat after he made his Lok Sabha debut in the May elections from Shimoga constituency, which his son had represented earlier.
State BJP President Prahalad Joshi announced names of the party candidates. Mahantesh Kavatagimath (Chikkodi-Sadalga) and Oblesh (Bellary) are the other candidates.
"The names were decided in the party's core committee meeting held here today," he said.
By-elections to two other seats are being held after sitting MLAs Prakash Hukkeri (Chikkodi-Sadalga) and B Sriramulu (Bellary) were elected to the Lok Sabha.
Counting of votes will be taken up on August 25.
The last date for filing nominations is August 2, while scrutiny will be done on August 4. August 6 is the last date for withdrawal of candidature.
The by-elections is tagged as another litmus test for Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and his government, after the unimpressive show of the ruling Congress in the Lok Sabha elections in which it could notch up only nine out of the 28 seats. BJP had won 17 seats and JDS 2.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10