WTO Fails to Agree Key Trade Deal
The World Trade Organization has said its 160 members had failed to agree a landmark global customs pact in a move the US said left the body on "uncertain new ground".
"We have not been able to find a solution that would allow us to bridge the gap," WTO director-general Roberto Azevedo said in a statement after the passing of a July 31 deadline for the deal.
A draft of the so-called Trade Facilitation Agreement, which would streamline global customs procedures, was agreed at a Bali conference in December last year and was meant to be finalised this month.
But rifts between members, particularly over demands from India that the world body gives the green light to the developing power's stockpiling of food, had threatened to scuttle the long-sought deal.
Azevedo urged members "to reflect long and hard on the ramifications of this setback".
US ambassador to the WTO Michael Punke said the failure to agree a deal "has put this institution on very uncertain new ground."
"We are obviously sad and disappointed that a very small handful of countries were unwilling to keep their commitments from the December conference in Bali," he said after the meeting in Geneva.
FROM OUTLOOKWtoNorth and South are set for a fresh battle on trade issues. And the arena is the WTO...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDTo Members of the World Trade Organization (WTO):more from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, July 25 (AFP) The United States todaymore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Killed, 17 Injured in Florida Nightclub Shooting Rampage
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Assam: UPLA Chief Nikunja Kathar Arrested
- Una Incident: Dalit Writer From Gujarat to Return His Award
- Pranab Da Guided Me Like a Guardian: Modi
- Transport Employees Launch Indefinite Strike in Karnataka
- Army Arrests Wanted Terrorist in Assam
- UNSC Mandates Must Recognise Ground Realities: India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED