WTO Fails to Agree Key Trade Deal
The World Trade Organization has said its 160 members had failed to agree a landmark global customs pact in a move the US said left the body on "uncertain new ground".
"We have not been able to find a solution that would allow us to bridge the gap," WTO director-general Roberto Azevedo said in a statement after the passing of a July 31 deadline for the deal.
A draft of the so-called Trade Facilitation Agreement, which would streamline global customs procedures, was agreed at a Bali conference in December last year and was meant to be finalised this month.
But rifts between members, particularly over demands from India that the world body gives the green light to the developing power's stockpiling of food, had threatened to scuttle the long-sought deal.
Azevedo urged members "to reflect long and hard on the ramifications of this setback".
US ambassador to the WTO Michael Punke said the failure to agree a deal "has put this institution on very uncertain new ground."
"We are obviously sad and disappointed that a very small handful of countries were unwilling to keep their commitments from the December conference in Bali," he said after the meeting in Geneva.
FROM OUTLOOKWtoNorth and South are set for a fresh battle on trade issues. And the arena is the WTO...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDTo Members of the World Trade Organization (WTO):more from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, July 25 (AFP) The United States todaymore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Twice in Kathua, Rajouri, Jawan Injured
- Twin Raids in Northern Iraq by Suicide Bombers, 16 Killed
- Don't Release Funds to State Till They Implement Lodha Panel Recommendations: SC Tells BCCI
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- Films, TV Potent Means to Improve Indo-Pak Ties: Digvijay
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Arrested in Wife's Suicide Case, Father Surrenders
- Irrigation Investment Essential to Boost Farm Output: Jaitley
- Army Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC in Poonch
- Try to Bring Back Youths to Mainstream: Mehbooba to Police
- SC Asks Parsvnath to Hand Over Flat to MoS Rathore in Two Days
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'