Would the NDA Take Back Saif's Padma Shri?
Government is examining a demand for taking back the Padma Shri award conferred on Bollywood actor Saif Ali Khan in the wake of a Mumbai court framing charges against him.
RTI activist S C Agrawal had filed a complaint with the Union Home Ministry on March 14 this year, demanding stripping the actor of the award conferred in 2010 as the Mumbai court had framed charges against him for alleged scuffle in a restaurant there.
In response to a subsequent RTI application filed to know the status of his complaint, the Home Ministry has replied to Agrawal that "the matter is under examination".
43-year-old Khan was conferred with the Padma Shri in 2010 for his contribution in the field of art.
However, recently-framed charges against Khan and two of his friends -- Shakeel Ladak and Bilal Amrohi – under section 325 (assault) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code.
It is alleged that Khan had punched on the nose of a South-Africa based businessman and his father-in-law at a Colaba hotel in February 2012.
Khan and his two friends have pleaded not guilty after the metropolitan court in Mumbai read out the charges to them in March this year.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED