Would the NDA Take Back Saif's Padma Shri?
Government is examining a demand for taking back the Padma Shri award conferred on Bollywood actor Saif Ali Khan in the wake of a Mumbai court framing charges against him.
RTI activist S C Agrawal had filed a complaint with the Union Home Ministry on March 14 this year, demanding stripping the actor of the award conferred in 2010 as the Mumbai court had framed charges against him for alleged scuffle in a restaurant there.
In response to a subsequent RTI application filed to know the status of his complaint, the Home Ministry has replied to Agrawal that "the matter is under examination".
43-year-old Khan was conferred with the Padma Shri in 2010 for his contribution in the field of art.
However, recently-framed charges against Khan and two of his friends -- Shakeel Ladak and Bilal Amrohi – under section 325 (assault) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code.
It is alleged that Khan had punched on the nose of a South-Africa based businessman and his father-in-law at a Colaba hotel in February 2012.
Khan and his two friends have pleaded not guilty after the metropolitan court in Mumbai read out the charges to them in March this year.
FROM OUTLOOKright to informationIt's a long fight against corruption at the panchayat level, and awareness is the key...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBREPORTAGEThe Press Council of India (PCI) has taken cognizamore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESTransparency for citizens, accountability and partmore from WIRES>>>
- Muslim Women Beaten Up by Gau Rakshaks in MP, Uproar in RS
- Curfew Reimposed in Parts of Kashmir
- T. M. Krishna, Bezwada Wilson Win Magsaysay Award
- Narsingh Replaced by Rana, Scandal Reaches Police
- Modi's Silence on Dalit Assault Devaluation of PM's Post: Cong
- Clinton Becomes First Woman Prez Nominee, Says Glass Ceiling Cracked
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Security Intensified Along Mizoram-Bangladesh Border
- BJP MP Seeks Central Intervention in UP
- Salman Acquittal: Key Witness in Poaching Case Says He Wasn't Summoned Deliberately
- WB Seeks GI Tag Only on Bengal Rasogolla, no Conflict With Odisha
- Car Bomb in Northern Syria Kills One, Wounds 50: Syrian TV
- Turkey Orders 47 Newspaper Journalists, Executives Detained
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED