Woman Who Took on Attackers Receives Rs 1 Lakh Reward
A woman, who took on a group of attackers after they assaulted her husband following a road accident here, was today given a reward of Rs 1 lakh by the Uttar Pradesh government.
SSP Onkar Singh and SDM Navneet Chahal today went to Mamata Yadav's house in Shatabdi Nagar area and handed over the cheque to her, said a police spokesman.
Thanking the government, Mamata said all women who show courage like her should be awarded.
Meanwhile, she today submitted a complaint to the police regarding the incident, the spokesman said.
On Tuesday, Mamata took on a group of attackers singlehandedly as they assaulted her husband after hitting the couple's bike with their car in a busy street while no one came forward to help her.
According to police, the incident occurred at 'kacheri pul' area when a Santro car hit the bike of the woman and her husband.
They said the youths who were in the car alighted and started assaulting Mamata's husband following which she tried to resist the attackers by showering them with blows.
Mamata said she and her husband sought help from the people present at the scene but no one came forward.
One of the accused, Ankit, a resident of village Bana in Mawana, was arrested yesterday following a complaint from a home guard Babu Ram, who was an eyewitness to the incident.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileWriting apart, Jnanpith winner Mahasweta Devi is committed to the rehabilitation of tribals...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe Bharat Ratna is India's highest civilian awardmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Mar 19 (PTI) Noted Tamil writer D Jayakmore from WIRES>>>
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED