Woman Who Took on Attackers Receives Rs 1 Lakh Reward
A woman, who took on a group of attackers after they assaulted her husband following a road accident here, was today given a reward of Rs 1 lakh by the Uttar Pradesh government.
SSP Onkar Singh and SDM Navneet Chahal today went to Mamata Yadav's house in Shatabdi Nagar area and handed over the cheque to her, said a police spokesman.
Thanking the government, Mamata said all women who show courage like her should be awarded.
Meanwhile, she today submitted a complaint to the police regarding the incident, the spokesman said.
On Tuesday, Mamata took on a group of attackers singlehandedly as they assaulted her husband after hitting the couple's bike with their car in a busy street while no one came forward to help her.
According to police, the incident occurred at 'kacheri pul' area when a Santro car hit the bike of the woman and her husband.
They said the youths who were in the car alighted and started assaulting Mamata's husband following which she tried to resist the attackers by showering them with blows.
Mamata said she and her husband sought help from the people present at the scene but no one came forward.
One of the accused, Ankit, a resident of village Bana in Mawana, was arrested yesterday following a complaint from a home guard Babu Ram, who was an eyewitness to the incident.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileWriting apart, Jnanpith winner Mahasweta Devi is committed to the rehabilitation of tribals...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe Bharat Ratna is India's highest civilian awardmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Mar 19 (PTI) Noted Tamil writer D Jayakmore from WIRES>>>
- New Set of Leaked Scorpene Documents Out
- Bodo Students Body Protests Giving Land to Patanjali Yogpeeth
- French Burkini Bans Face Legal Challenge as Tension Mounts
- India Talks Tough With Pak, Says Willing to Discuss Terror
- Stand By Every Word I Said on RSS: Rahul Gandhi
- Angry Mehbooba Ends Press Meet With Rajnath Abruptly
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Ronaldo Crowned UEFA Best Player in Europe
- Gunmen Storm Beach Restaurant in Somali Capital Mogadishu
- SRK, Akshay Among Highest Paid Actors, 'The Rock' Tops List
- Sensex Recovers 85 Pts on Sep F&O Series Take-Off
- Rupee Gains 7 Paise Against Dollar in Early Trade
- Rudy Van Gelder, Legendary Recorder of Jazz, Dead at 91
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED