Woman Alleges Forcible Conversion on Pretext of Marriage
A woman has filed a police complaint alleging that she was forced to convert by a Muslim man and his family on pretext of marriage.
Tension prevailed as activists of Hindu organisations staged a protest at police station Sahibabad, where the woman, a native of Cooch Behar in West Bengal, lodged the complaint last night.
Superintendent of Police (City) Shiv Hari Meena said that a case has been registered after the woman alleged that she was duped by a man identified as Umardraz, who along with his family "forced her to convert".
She claimed to have met Umardraz in Kolkata, where he proposed to her and their marriage was solemnised at a temple.
She alleged that Umardraz later told her that his parents would not allow him to marry a girl from another religion. Also her in laws "compelled and tortured" her to convert to Islam and a 'nikah' was again solemnised under duress, she claimed.
The woman alleged that he was assisted by his mother, father, sister and brother-in-law.
The couple had been living at Seema Puri in Delhi. Later, they shifted to Shaheed Nagar in Sahibabad.
Activists of Hindu organisations raised slogans alleging that police were reluctant to lodge an FIR.
SP Meena said that a case under sections 153A (Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race) and 498 (Enticing or taking away or detaining with criminal intent a married woman) has been registered against five persons.
Police are also investigating the angle of forced conversion, police officials said.
Two teams of sleuths have been sent to Bulandshahr to arrest the accused.
Early this month, a man had lodged a complaint in Meerut's Kharkhauda police station against a village head, cleric and others alleging that his 20-year-old daughter was abducted, rape and forcibly converted, which had sparked tensionin the area.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10