Woman Alleges Forcible Conversion on Pretext of Marriage
A woman has filed a police complaint alleging that she was forced to convert by a Muslim man and his family on pretext of marriage.
Tension prevailed as activists of Hindu organisations staged a protest at police station Sahibabad, where the woman, a native of Cooch Behar in West Bengal, lodged the complaint last night.
Superintendent of Police (City) Shiv Hari Meena said that a case has been registered after the woman alleged that she was duped by a man identified as Umardraz, who along with his family "forced her to convert".
She claimed to have met Umardraz in Kolkata, where he proposed to her and their marriage was solemnised at a temple.
She alleged that Umardraz later told her that his parents would not allow him to marry a girl from another religion. Also her in laws "compelled and tortured" her to convert to Islam and a 'nikah' was again solemnised under duress, she claimed.
The woman alleged that he was assisted by his mother, father, sister and brother-in-law.
The couple had been living at Seema Puri in Delhi. Later, they shifted to Shaheed Nagar in Sahibabad.
Activists of Hindu organisations raised slogans alleging that police were reluctant to lodge an FIR.
SP Meena said that a case under sections 153A (Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race) and 498 (Enticing or taking away or detaining with criminal intent a married woman) has been registered against five persons.
Police are also investigating the angle of forced conversion, police officials said.
Two teams of sleuths have been sent to Bulandshahr to arrest the accused.
Early this month, a man had lodged a complaint in Meerut's Kharkhauda police station against a village head, cleric and others alleging that his 20-year-old daughter was abducted, rape and forcibly converted, which had sparked tensionin the area.
- Sidhu Likely to Join AAP in August
- NADA Concludes Hearing, Decision on Narsingh's Fate Deferred
- FM Hits Back at Rahul, Says NDA Has Brought Down Inflation
- Eminent Writer Mahasweta Devi Dies at 90
- Rajnath to Raise Pak-Sponsored Terror, No Bilateral With Pak Counterpart
- Obama Passes Baton to Clinton, Says No One More Qualified
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Modi Follows Person Who Hurled Abuses at Delhi CM, Claims AAP
- Bus Rams Into Tree in Solapur District, Four Dead
- Fed Up With Harassment, College Girl Ends Life in Malegaon
- Indian-American Girl Becomes Youngest Delegate at DNC
- 14-Year-Old Boy Wins International Maths Competition
- Autorickshaw, Taxi Unions Call Off Strike in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED