Why Did Modi Not Greet Muslims on Eid?: Opposition
Opposition members in the Lok Sabha today sought to rake up an rake up issue accusing Prime Minister Narendra Modi of not greeting Muslims on the occasion of Eid while noting that he had offered prayers in Nepal's famed centuries-old Pashupatinath Temple yesterday.
Raising the issue during zero hour, Trinamool Congress leader Sudip Bandhopadhyay recalled the Prime Minister's visit to the Pashupatinath Temple yesterday and his donation of ghee and 2500 kg of sandalwood.
He said he appreciated the action of the Prime Minister, but equally he expected him to wish Eid Mubarak to the other community. He wanted to know why this "differentiation".
Noting that India believed in the principles of secularism, communal harmony and national integration, he said "some evil forces are trying to create communal tension".
Bandopadhyay cautioned the government to "remain alert, cautious and vigilant to prevent communal incidents as otherwise safety and security of the common man and the secular fabric will be under threat."
A number of members including NCP leader Tariq Anwar, Bhagwant Mann (AAP) and K Kavitha (TRS) associated himself with the TMC leader, as also Congress member Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury.
Disputing Bandopahdyay's submission, Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said "I want to put on record that this government believes in 'sarva dharma sambhav'. And the Prime Minister has greeted 'Eid Mubarak' to members of the Muslim community", he said
Greetings on Eid-ul-Fitr. May this auspicious day strengthen the bond of peace, unity & brotherhood across our Nation.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 29, 2014
A Congress member also raked up the issue of Prime Minister Narendra Modi not hosting Iftaar this Ramzaan
The member, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, said while no one has any objection to the Prime Minister going to "Pashupatinath to Tirupati", there has been a practice since Independence of Prime Ministers hosting Iftaars in the holy month of Ramzan.
"Even Atal Bihari Vajpayee continued with this tradition, but what has happened now," Chowdhury, a former Union Minister, said in an apparent reference to Modi not hosting an Iftaar reception this Ramzaan.
His remarks were met with strong opposition from BJP members, prompting Speaker Sumitra Mahajan to observe that it would not go on record.
"Such personal matters will not go on record. I am sorry .... This is not the way. If you want a party, go to him," she told Chowdhury as P K Biju and M B Rajesh (both CPI-M) supported the Congress member.
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'