WB: Naked Body of Girl Who Tried to Save Father Found
The naked body of a girl, who tried to save her father from being beaten up at a village kangaroo court for failing to pay for a rented tractor, was found near the railway tracks at Dhupguri in Jalpaiguri district, police said today.
The 'Salishi Sabha' (self-appointed village court) was convened at Dhupguri on Monday night and the girl's body was found yesterday, Jalpaiguri Additional Superintendent of Police James Kujur said.
After identifying the body, the victim's father lodged an FIR against 13 persons at the Dhupguri Police Station for "rape, murder and kidnapping" of his daughter.
Trouble began at the 'Sabha' when the farmer's request for some more time to make the payment was turned down, the police said adding local Trinamool Congress councillor Namita Roy and her husband were present at the meeting.
The girl rushed out of her house pleading with the villagers not to beat her father, but a person known to her took her away from the meeting and she went missing since then, the police said.
The councillor was not available for comment.
District TMC president Sourav Chakrabarty, however, said the police were investigating the incident and there was no need to give "political colour" to it.
Jalpaiguri Superintendent of Police Kunal Agarwal and the ASP rushed to the spot last night.
Kujur said the Government Railway Police would probe the matter as the girl's body was found near the rail tracks.
Two persons were initially detained in this connection, but were released later.
A juvenile, aged about 14-15 years, was apprehended today in connection with the incident, Superintendent Railway Police (Siliguri) Debashis Sarkar said.
Meanwhile, West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi assured a Left Front Parliamentary team during the day that he would seek a report from the state government on the incident.
"We have expressed our concern about the incident and the Governor has said he will seek a report from the state administration on the incident," CPI(M) MLA Anisur Rehman said.
The Left Parliamentary team, which for the first time met Tripathi after he assumed office, also expressed deep anguish over the "lawless" situation in the state.
A delegation of the LF women's wing also met Tripathi and complained about rising incidents of rape and molestation in the state.
SFI and DYFI, the student and youth wings of the CPI(M), observed a students strike and 'Black Day' in Dhupguri block today demanding punishment of the culprits and also put up road blockades on NH 31.
BJP activists had staged a demonstration in front of the Dhupguri Police Station yesterday, the police said.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village