Vinod Rai's Sensationalism is a Post-Retirement Pension Plan: Cong
Congress today slammed former CAG Vinod Rai for his claim that he was pressurised to drop names of those involved in scams during the UPA regime, saying "sensationalising" things has been his staple.
"If at all, he was under any pressure or he was being coerced either obliquely, directly, implicitly that certain people be named and others deleted, was it not incumbent upon him to make it public at that point of time," party leader Manish Tewari told reporters.
He said Rai was perhaps "saving these little nuggets of sensationalism for what is a post-retirement pension plan these days -- that you write and create enough sensationalism around it."
Rai, whose book is due for release in September, has claimed that UPA functionaries deputed politicians to get him to leave out names from the auditor's reports on Coalgate and Commonwealth Games scams.
Tewari said Rai, who has already vitiated the public discourse by putting out "sensational numbers" about the scams in CAG reports, should revisit the entire issue.
"...It would be my pleasure to demolish the findings which he had come to in his report so that the nation comes to know conclusively what really was the truth", he said.
Hitting out at the former CAG, senior NCP leader Tariq Anwar said if Rai was under any kind of pressure, he should have spoken then itself and made it public.
"But to speak about such things after a time period or after retirement has become a fashion in our country. It is a new trend to write a book after retirement and take up sensitive and sensational issues in it so that the sale of the book increases," he told reporters.
JD-U also questioned the timing of the disclosure, saying if Rai would have revealed it before, it would have been taken more "seriously."
"He should have disclosed the matter before. It would have been taken more seriously," party leader Ali Anwar said, but noted that Rai's disclosure was not clear as to whether he was under any pressure.
Samajwadi Party leader Naresh Agarwal felt that Rai appears to be inclined on joining BJP. He suggested that "guidelines should be framed" against these kind of people so that they do not indulge in this kind of sensationalism.
FROM OUTLOOKchildren: mythologyMythology meets cartoons in an explosion that’s entertaining, edifying, commercial...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBHyderabad BluesThe PV chronicle Author and economist, Sanjaya Barmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPatna, Nov 8 (PTI) The Bihar government would provmore from WIRES>>>
- Can't Allow Lives of Muslim Women to be Ruined by Triple Talaq: PM
- Militants Open Fire at Manipur CM's Helicopter, He Escapes Unhurt
- Women to be Granted Access to Haji Ali Shrine on Par With Men: Dargah Trust to SC
- Let Netaji Install a CM Who He Feels is Honest: Akhilesh
- BSF Jawan, Six-Yr-Old Boy Killed in Pak Firing in J&K
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Seven Killed, 94 Injured in Massive Explosion in China
- Centre 'Politicising' Triple Talaq Issue to Polarise Hindu Votes: Muslim Women Org
- CBI Shielding Tytler in 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case, Alleges AAP
- Aircel-Maxis Case: Kalanithi Denies CBI Claim of Pressurising Telecom Promoter
- China Warns US Against Meddling After Envoy's Arunachal Trip
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali on September 29 After Surgical Strikes: PM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'