Vikas Thakur Bags Silver in CWG Weightlifting
Writhing in pain, young Vikas Thakur produced the lift of his lifetime to clinch the silver medal in the men's 85kg weightlifting, as Indian lifters continued their spectacular show in the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Thakur lifted 333kg (150+183) to bag the silver while Richard Patterson of New Zealand won the gold with a total lift of 335kg (151+184). Canada's Pascal Plamondon was third with 333kg (151+182), but Thakur bagged the silver on lower bodyweight.
There was drama towards the end as Patterson's second attempt of 184kg in clean and jerk was declared a no lift but he made a clean lift in a tense situation to bag the gold.
The Indian camp waited anxiously as Thakur would have won the gold if Patterson had failed in his third attempt.
But that did not happen as the New Zealander lifted 184kg clean and Thakur hand to be content with a silver.
Thakur was trailing at third with a lift of 150kg after completion of a snatch though the gap with the leaders -- Patterson and Plamondon -- was just one kilogram.
The Indian began with 142kg and then went onto lift 147kg and 150kg in his next two attempts.
Patterson, the favourite and last year's Commonwealth Championships winner, began with 147kg and lifted 151kg in his second attempt. He went for 154kg in his third attempt but failed to lift it.
The 20-year-old Thakur had finished second in the Commonwealth Championships.
In clean and jerk, Thakur went for 179kg in his first attempt, but could not lift it. But he was successful in his second attempt to jump to the top spot. Canada's Pascal Plamondon then lifted 182kg to take the top spot.
Thakur was nonplussed and he came out to lift 182kg to total 333kg and equal Plamondon at the top.
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10