Varanasi Boat Tragedy: Seven Bodies Recovered
Bodies of seven persons who had gone missing after a boat capsized in the Ganga here have been recovered, a senior government official said today.
"A list prepared by us carries name of 42 people (travelling in the boat). 23 of them managed to safely swim out of the river. Seven bodies have been recovered till last night and a search is on to recover bodies of the missing 12 people," said Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Chunar in Mirzapur district, Ashok Kanojia.
All the seven bodies have been sent for post mortem. Six of the deceased have been identified as Tanya, Brijesh Kumar Singh, Hirawati, Prem Pandit, Shiv Kumar and Chhidan. The seventh one is yet to be identified, Kanojia said.
"People on board the boat mostly hailed from Gaangpur village of Mirzapur district," said Kanojia, who is incharge of a helpline established in the Chunar region to assist families of the victims.
Kanojia said, "The exact figure about the number of people who were onboard the motor boat is still not clear and it may be more than 42."
"We are trying to figure out the exact number of people travelling on the boat by enquiring from those who managed to safely swim out of the river," he said.
A team of NDRF, Jal Police and PAC flood platoon along with river divers is carrying out search operations in Varanasi and Mirzapur district.
The boat, heading towards Mirzapur from Varanasi, yesterday capsized in the river at Betawar ghat near Shooltankeshwar area.
Yesterday, Varanasi SP (Rural) Pradeep Gupta had said that the boat was carrying 40 people and 22 of them had managed to swim while 18 persons were missing.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED