Vahanvati Leaves Behind Rich Legacy: Sonia Gandhi
Recalling Goolam E Vahanvati's work during 10 years of UPA rule, Congress President Sonia Gandhi today condoled the former Attorney General's death and said he has left behind a "rich legacy, both as a lawyer and a fine human being."
"In the 10 years that he served the UPA government, first as Solicitor General and then as Attorney General, he stood out in so many ways -- for the sheer dedication and rigour that he brought to his work, his meticulous attention to detail and, above all, his commitment to the cause of justice and truth," Gandhi wrote to the late jurist's son Essaji.
Vahanvati, who represented the UPA government in many high -profile cases, including those related to the allocation of coal blocks, passed away in Mumbai on September 2 following a heart attack. He was aged 65.
Sonia said he was an inspiring and much-loved mentor to generations of young lawyers, "generous with his help, advice and wise counsel".
"I have no doubt the years of hard, unstinting effort he put into his work took a toll on his health," Gandhi said, referring to him as someone with a gentle demeanour that belied the strength and power of his legal briefs and arguments.
Noting that he lived life to its fullest, Sonia said that despite his devotion to work, Vahanvati took joy in all that life had to offer -- music, book, trees and flowers.
"You must draw consolation from the fact that you cared for him with utmost devotion in his months of ill-health and that now he is released from suffering.
"He leaves behind a rich legacy, both as a lawyer and a fine human being, and his memory will always be honoured," Gandhi said.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman