Vahanvati Leaves Behind Rich Legacy: Sonia Gandhi
Recalling Goolam E Vahanvati's work during 10 years of UPA rule, Congress President Sonia Gandhi today condoled the former Attorney General's death and said he has left behind a "rich legacy, both as a lawyer and a fine human being."
"In the 10 years that he served the UPA government, first as Solicitor General and then as Attorney General, he stood out in so many ways -- for the sheer dedication and rigour that he brought to his work, his meticulous attention to detail and, above all, his commitment to the cause of justice and truth," Gandhi wrote to the late jurist's son Essaji.
Vahanvati, who represented the UPA government in many high -profile cases, including those related to the allocation of coal blocks, passed away in Mumbai on September 2 following a heart attack. He was aged 65.
Sonia said he was an inspiring and much-loved mentor to generations of young lawyers, "generous with his help, advice and wise counsel".
"I have no doubt the years of hard, unstinting effort he put into his work took a toll on his health," Gandhi said, referring to him as someone with a gentle demeanour that belied the strength and power of his legal briefs and arguments.
Noting that he lived life to its fullest, Sonia said that despite his devotion to work, Vahanvati took joy in all that life had to offer -- music, book, trees and flowers.
"You must draw consolation from the fact that you cared for him with utmost devotion in his months of ill-health and that now he is released from suffering.
"He leaves behind a rich legacy, both as a lawyer and a fine human being, and his memory will always be honoured," Gandhi said.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionAs the Punjab and Uttar Pradesh elections loom larmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Indian Army Launched Surgical Strikes in PoK
- PM Chairs CCS Meeting to Review Situation Along LoC
- Meeting on Most Favoured Nation Status to Pakistan Postponed
- Ceasefire Violations Along LoC in Naugam Sector, Poonch
- CBSE Likely to Make Class 10 Board Exams Compulsory From 2018
- Three Injured in Shooting at Elementary School in US, Suspect in Custody: Police
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Cauvery Impasse: No Breakthrough at Meet Convened by Centre
- Clear Response Given by Targeting Terror Breeding Centres: Shah
- Scarlett Keeling Case: Mother Writes to PM, Seeks Reinvestigation By SIT
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Four CMs, Opposition Leaders on Army Strike
- Congress, AAP Congratulate Army on Anti-Terror Surgical Strikes
- Surgical Strike: 7 Terror Launch Pads Targeted, Heliborne, Ground Forces Used
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED