Vahanvati Leaves Behind Rich Legacy: Sonia Gandhi
Recalling Goolam E Vahanvati's work during 10 years of UPA rule, Congress President Sonia Gandhi today condoled the former Attorney General's death and said he has left behind a "rich legacy, both as a lawyer and a fine human being."
"In the 10 years that he served the UPA government, first as Solicitor General and then as Attorney General, he stood out in so many ways -- for the sheer dedication and rigour that he brought to his work, his meticulous attention to detail and, above all, his commitment to the cause of justice and truth," Gandhi wrote to the late jurist's son Essaji.
Vahanvati, who represented the UPA government in many high -profile cases, including those related to the allocation of coal blocks, passed away in Mumbai on September 2 following a heart attack. He was aged 65.
Sonia said he was an inspiring and much-loved mentor to generations of young lawyers, "generous with his help, advice and wise counsel".
"I have no doubt the years of hard, unstinting effort he put into his work took a toll on his health," Gandhi said, referring to him as someone with a gentle demeanour that belied the strength and power of his legal briefs and arguments.
Noting that he lived life to its fullest, Sonia said that despite his devotion to work, Vahanvati took joy in all that life had to offer -- music, book, trees and flowers.
"You must draw consolation from the fact that you cared for him with utmost devotion in his months of ill-health and that now he is released from suffering.
"He leaves behind a rich legacy, both as a lawyer and a fine human being, and his memory will always be honoured," Gandhi said.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBPoliticsFormer Uttar Pradesh Congress President Rita Bahugmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'