US, Major EU States Call for Libya Ceasefire, UN Role
Top US and European leaders today called for a ceasefire in Libya and for the United Nations to take on a major role in helping to stop the spiralling violence and lawlessness.
The appeal came after a conference call between US President Barack Obama, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Francois Hollande and the prime ministers of Britain and Italy, David Cameron and Matteo Renzi, a German government statement said.
"The five heads of state and government condemned the violence against civilians, the intimidation of state representatives and the disruption of the political process," it said.
They called on the United Nations "to play an essential role in facilitating the political process" in order to restore stability in Libya.
The leaders agreed "an immediate ceasefire between the militias in Tripoli was necessary," it added.
The Tripoli clashes, the most violent since a 2011 armed revolt that overthrew longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi, started with a July 13 assault on the airport by armed groups, mainly Islamists.
The deadly fighting has spread to other cities and today a huge fire erupted at an oil depot outside the Libyan capital, threatening its vital oil industry already hit by the exodus of foreign workers.
The violence has led the United Nations and the United States to withdraw their personnel from Libya while other Western powers have told their nationals to leave the country.
In the telephone talks, the leaders also discussed the crises in Ukraine and Gaza.
- CBI Court Grants Bail to Advani, Joshi And Uma Bharti
- Rai To Meet Kohli, Kumble To Resolve Issues Around Coach's Appointment
- Bilkis Bano Rape Case: SC Refuses to Hear Plea of Convicted IPS Officer Bhagora
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10