US Journalist Steven Sotloff Beheaded by ISIS: Video
A chilling video of beheading of another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, was today posted on social media by Syria and Iraq-based terrorist group, Islamic State (IS).
American officials said the authenticity of the video is being checked by the US intelligence.
The video titled "A second message to America," shows the beheading of Sotloff, who is seen saying that he is "paying the price" for US intervention in Iraq.
It also threatens the life of British captive David Haines.
The news broke out during the daily White House news conference.
"I have not seen those reports today. I think that may have just happened in the last few minutes while I have been standing up here," White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, told reporters at his daily news conference.
"This is something that the administration has obviously been watching very carefully, since this threat against Mr Sotloff's life was originally made a few weeks ago. Our thoughts and prayers, first and foremost, are with Mr Sotloff and Mr Sotloff's family and those who worked with him," he said in response to a question.
The US has dedicated significant time and resources to trying and rescue Sotloff, he said.
"I am not in a position to confirm the authenticity of that video or the reports at this point, obviously, since I just walked out here," the official said.
"But if there is a video that has been released, it is something that will be analysed very carefully by the US government and our intelligence officials to determine its authenticity," Earnest said.
Last month, IS have posted a video showing the beheading of journalist James Foley, prompting global outrage and strong condemnation.
The 40-year-old journalist had been reporting in Syria when he was abducted in November 2012.
National Security Council spokesperson Bernadette Meehan said: "We have seen a video that purports to be the murder of US citizen Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State. The intelligence community is working as quickly as possible to determine its authenticity."
"If genuine, we are appalled by the brutal murder of an innocent American journalist and we express our deepest condolences to his family and friends," said Meehan.
"We will provide more information when it is available."
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman