US Jets Ambush Jihadists Near Iraqi dam
The United States carried out another round of air strikes today against militants from the so-called Islamic States battling Iraqi and Kurdish forces near a major dam in northern Iraq.
The Mosul Dam, just north of the city of the same name, has become a focus of fighting between jihadists and Kurdish forces since the United States launched an air campaign last month.
US Central Command said US jets had continued their bombardment of IS positions on Sunday and Monday.
"The strikes destroyed three ISIL trucks, severely damaged another, destroyed an ISIL armed vehicle, and destroyed a mortar position near the Mosul Dam," the military said in a statement.
"All aircraft exited the strike area safely."
Since US aircraft went into action they have carried out 123 separate strikes, more than half of them in defence of the dam, and have helped Kurdish and Iraqi troops reverse some recent IS gains.
Over the weekend, the US campaign moved south to help Iraqi troops and Shiite militias break the 11-week siege of the town of Amerli, where civilians from the Turkmen minority were in danger.
FROM OUTLOOKterrorismNot a Pak-Afghan-bred radical, the new Islamic warrior could be a regular American guy, swayed by Al Qaeda,...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe second half of the month of Ramzan witnessed amore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESIn a major clampdown on Islamic radical groups, jumore from WIRES>>>
- Whole of J&K Belongs to India: Swaraj on Sharif's 'Delusional Kashmir Dream'
- Kashmir: Congress Decides Not to Meet Rajnath Singh
- Declare Blackmoney by Sept 30 or Face Action: PM
- 80 Dead as IS Claims Twin Blasts During Kabul Protest
- Chennai: Search for Missing IAF Plane Intensified, Parrikar Conducts Aerial Survey
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine in Mall Rampage, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Shami Takes Four on Comeback as West Indies Struggle at 120/5
- Root and Woakes Star as England Dominates Second Test Against Pakistan
- Clashes Rock Syria's Manbij as IS Ignores Ultimatum
- Orissa: Seven School Teachers Booked for Allegedly Sexually Harassing Girls
- President, PM Condole Raza's Death
- Orissa: Minor 'Assaulted' by BJD Men for Refusing to Donate Blood
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED