US Jets Ambush Jihadists Near Iraqi dam
The United States carried out another round of air strikes today against militants from the so-called Islamic States battling Iraqi and Kurdish forces near a major dam in northern Iraq.
The Mosul Dam, just north of the city of the same name, has become a focus of fighting between jihadists and Kurdish forces since the United States launched an air campaign last month.
US Central Command said US jets had continued their bombardment of IS positions on Sunday and Monday.
"The strikes destroyed three ISIL trucks, severely damaged another, destroyed an ISIL armed vehicle, and destroyed a mortar position near the Mosul Dam," the military said in a statement.
"All aircraft exited the strike area safely."
Since US aircraft went into action they have carried out 123 separate strikes, more than half of them in defence of the dam, and have helped Kurdish and Iraqi troops reverse some recent IS gains.
Over the weekend, the US campaign moved south to help Iraqi troops and Shiite militias break the 11-week siege of the town of Amerli, where civilians from the Turkmen minority were in danger.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10