US Doing Everything to Diffuse Ukraine Crisis: Obama
US President Barack Obama has said that the America has done everything possible to seek a diplomatic solution to Ukraine crisis, short of going into war to deter Russia.
"With respect to Ukraine, I think we have done everything that we can to support the Ukrainian government and to deter Russia from moving further into Ukraine," Obama told reporters at White House when asked if the US could have done more on Ukraine.
"But short of going to war, there are going to be some constraints in terms of what we can do if (Vladimir) Putin and Russia are ignoring what should be their long-term interests," he said.
"Right now, what we've done is impose sufficient costs on Russia that President Putin should want to resolve this diplomatically, get these sanctions lifted, get their economy growing again, and have good relations with Ukraine," he said.
Meanwhile, the Pentagon has alleged that Russia continues to support the Ukrainian separatists.
"The Russian government continues to support the separatists in eastern Ukraine. So taken as a whole, their activities continue to destabilise the region," Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby said.
"On what we see from Russia, I would just say broadly we continue to see them reinforce the troops that they have in the southeast border there with Ukraine. They continue to be reinforced. They continue to represent what we consider a combined arms capability, very capable, very ready forces.
"They're close to the border, within 50 kilometres of the border. So closer than what we saw back in the spring," Kirby told Pentagon reporters at a news conference.
The US assistance to Ukrainian Government, he said, remains restricted to non-lethal aid.
"The focus of our assistance remains on non-lethal. We continue to review requests for military assistance from the government of Ukraine through an interagency process. No decisions have been made yet to move beyond non-lethal," he said in response to a question.
Referring to the previous statements of the US President, the Pentagon spokesperson said there would not be a military solution to the situation in Ukraine.
"We also need to be mindful that we don't take actions that make it worse or make even less secure for the Ukrainian people," he added.
FROM OUTLOOKForeign AffairsIndia has to take stock of its diminishing role in institutions like NAM and the UN...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionWhen Chinese President Xi Jinping stopped over atmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Feb 16 Britain today suggested that Indmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia