US Disappointed at India's Stance at WTO: Envoy
India's refusal to ratify the trade facilitation agreement at WTO was disappointing, a US envoy to India said today.
"My country and all other countries in the WTO framework were disappointed as India made a changed stance in July last," said Stephens, Charge d'Affaires ad interim to India, at an informal interaction with reporters here.
She said had India agreed to the new global customs rules, then it could have been an enormous step for trade facilitation for smaller countries as well.
Taking a tough stance, India last month refused to sign the trade facilitation pact at WTO demanding a permanent solution to issues of food stock holding and subsidies.
"I hope India can play a pro-active role in the multilateral WTO forum not only for other nations, but also for its own interest as well," Stephens, who took over charge after the resignation of Ambassador Nancy Powell, said.
"We expected the protocol to go through, but for India, it did not," Stephens said.
FROM OUTLOOKWtoNorth and South are set for a fresh battle on trade issues. And the arena is the WTO...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDTo Members of the World Trade Organization (WTO):more from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, July 25 (AFP) The United States todaymore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'