US Conducts Airstrikes Against IS Militants Near Irbil in Iraq
The US military has carried out air strikes using fighter jets and drones against the Islamic State militants near Kurdish capital Irbil, aimed at assisting Kurdish forces to liberate Iraq's largest dam from jihadists.
American fighter jets and drones successfully conducted airstrikes near Irbil and the Mosul Dam, targeting militants, the Pentagon said yesterday.
These strikes were carried out under the authority to support humanitarian efforts in Iraq, as well as to protect US personnel and facilities, it added.
"The nine airstrikes conducted thus far destroyed or damaged four armored personnel carriers, seven armed vehicles, two Humvees and an armored vehicle," the US Central Command said, adding that all aircraft exited the strike areas safely.
The Islamic State militants captured Mosul Dam, in northern Iraq on the Tigris River, earlier this month.
The dam provides electricity to much of the region, and is crucial to irrigation in farming areas in Nineveh province.
The recapture of the dam would be one of the most significant achievements of Iraqi forces in fight against the militants.
- Rahul Gandhi Should Stop Lying and Apologise: RSS
- 11 Turkish Police Killed in Bombing, PKK Blamed
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- Curfew in Several Areas of Kashmir Ahead of Planned March
- 7 Killed as Gunmen Storm Beach Restaurant in Somali Capital
- Bodo Students Body Protests Giving Land to Patanjali Yogpeeth
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- India Ranks 77th on World Risk Index
- No One Should Tell Women What to Wear: Khan on Burkini Ban
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- German Mayor Fires Muslim Intern for 'Wearing Headscarf'
- Subrata Roy Offers in SC to Pay Rs 300 Cr as Bank Gurantee
- Singapore Bids Farewell to Indian-Origin Ex-President Nathan
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED