US Conducts Airstrikes Against IS Militants Near Irbil in Iraq
The US military has carried out air strikes using fighter jets and drones against the Islamic State militants near Kurdish capital Irbil, aimed at assisting Kurdish forces to liberate Iraq's largest dam from jihadists.
American fighter jets and drones successfully conducted airstrikes near Irbil and the Mosul Dam, targeting militants, the Pentagon said yesterday.
These strikes were carried out under the authority to support humanitarian efforts in Iraq, as well as to protect US personnel and facilities, it added.
"The nine airstrikes conducted thus far destroyed or damaged four armored personnel carriers, seven armed vehicles, two Humvees and an armored vehicle," the US Central Command said, adding that all aircraft exited the strike areas safely.
The Islamic State militants captured Mosul Dam, in northern Iraq on the Tigris River, earlier this month.
The dam provides electricity to much of the region, and is crucial to irrigation in farming areas in Nineveh province.
The recapture of the dam would be one of the most significant achievements of Iraqi forces in fight against the militants.
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED