US Airdrops Aid, Conducts Airstrikes in Besieged Iraqi Town
The US military has conducted humanitarian air drop in the besieged Iraqi town of Amrili, home to thousands of Shia Turkomen who have been cut off from receiving food, water, and medical supplies for two months by the militants of the Islamic State, the Pentagon said.
The US Air Force delivered this aid alongside aircraft from Australia, France and the UK who also dropped much needed supplies, Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby said.
In conjunction with this airdrop, US aircraft conducted coordinated airstrikes against terrorists in order to support this humanitarian assistance operation, Kirby said.
These military operations were conducted under authorization from President Barack Obama to facilitate the delivery of humanitarian assistance and to prevent an attack on the civilians of Amirli by the militants, he added.
"The operations will be limited in their scope and duration as necessary to address this emerging humanitarian crisis and protect the civilians trapped in Amirli," he said.
So far the US has conducted a total of 115 airstrikes across Iraq.
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- Unity, Love Basic Mantras to Address Kashmir Problem: PM
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- PM Hails ISRO for Successful Testing of Scramjet Rocket Engine
- SFIO Widens Mallya Probe, Former Top Bankers Under Scanner
- Mayawati Takes Fight to Mulayam's Turf, Slams SP, BJP
- Talks With Whosoever is Ready to Reject Violence: Mehbooba
- Mid-Air Horror as Engine Torn Apart, US Flight Diverted
- GST an Example of How Big Tasks Can be Done If Parties Work Together: PM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED