Uproar Over RGV's 'Blasphemous' Remarks on Ganesh
Filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma stirred a controversy today, the first day of the 10-day Ganesh Chaturthi festival, with a string of tweets about the elephant God, drawing condemnation for his "blasphemous" remarks and provoking demands for police action against him.
What did Ganesha do that his brother kumara dint do so that only Ganesha became god? Is it becos Kumara dint get head cut off like Ganesha?— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
Can someone tell me if today is the day Ganesha was originally born or is it the day his dad cut his head off?— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
Does Lord Ganesha eat with his hands or his trunk?— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
I would really love to know from Lord Ganesha's devotees a list of what obstacles he removed in all the years they prayed to him— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
I have an innocent question...can someone please tell me how a Lord who couldn't save his own head will save others heads?— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
Does Lord Ganesha eat much more than other Gods? My doubt is becos all the other Gods are either trim or muscular— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
Did Lord Ganesha have a paunch in his childhood too or did it develop in the recovery time of the elephant head operation?— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
Can someone explain how someone can cut off a child's head who was just trying to protect his mother's modesty? Am sure devotees know better— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
I think my films are flopping only becos of my attitude towards Gods. ..I wish I can become a devotee— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
As his twitter posts triggered an outrage, Varma took to the micro-blogging website to tender an apology.
All tweets I put on Ganesha were in my usual manner but unintended by me to hurt anyone's sentiments...but if they did I sincerely apologize— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) August 29, 2014
The 52-year-old producer and director, who apart from questioning the ability of Ganesha to remove obstacles from the path of his devotees, made fun of his physical attributes.
Varma's comments drew strong reactions from leaders across the political divide.
While Shaina N C of the BJP called it "blasphemous and insensitive", Congress' former MP from Mumbai Sanjay Nirupam demanded police action against him for violating the law of the land.
"This is blasphemous and insensitive. He should not resort to such cheap sensationalism," Shaina said, calling the tweets "incredible absurdity" and seeking an apology from Varma.
"He has hurt the religious sentiments of the people. We have great faith in Ganesh. Nobody has the right to make such statements.
"Ram Gopal Varma has not been able to give a hit film in a long time. He wants to remain in the news and so is making such statements. As he has violated the law of the land, police must take action against him," Nirupam said, adding "he (Varma) is known for such publicity stunts".
Prem Shukla of the Shiv Sena described Varma's twitter comments as an "insult" to the "cultural and religious ethos" of Maharashtrians at a time when they were celebrating Ganesh Chaturthi.
He also questioned the timing of the tweets. "His comments at this time are intentional and merit criminal action against him. This is a cheap and dirty way to be in the news. This will create social disharmony," Shukla said.
As the director-producer faced an avalanche of criticism, he, in another twitter post said," All tweets I put on Ganesha were in my usual manner but unintended by me to hurt anyone's sentiments...But if they did I sincerely apologize."
Varma, who gave films like Satya, Shool and Rangeela, had triggered a major controversy when he accompanied the then Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and his actor son Ritiesh to the Taj Hotel after the 26/11 terror attack. He was said to have gone there to plan a film on the terror assault.
The visit had created a nationwide outcry and ultimately led to Deshmukh's resignation.
Varma denied that he had plans to make a film but eventually came up with a movie titled The Attacks of 26/11 in 2013.
- PM Modi Unveils 112 Feet Shiva Statue In Coimbatore
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Fire At China Hotel Traps People
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Couple Claims Dhanush Their Son, HC Asks Actor to Appear on Feb 28
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student & Kargil Martyr's Daughter Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- White House Blocks Major News Outlets From Press Briefing
- Australia Sets Target Of 441 Against India On The Third Day Of First Test Match
- Major Fire At China Hotel Traps Unknown Number Of People
- PM Modi Unveils 112 Feet Shiva Statue In Coimbatore
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman