Uproar in RS Over TDP MP's Dress Remarks
Congress members today created uproar in Rajya Sabha over certain remarks made by a TDP MP about women's dress, leading to adjournment of the House for 15 minutes.
Soon after the House paid homage to freedom fighters who laid down their lives during Independence movement, Congress members were on their feet demanding action against the Lok Sabha member for the remarks made yesterday.
Standing in protest against the comments, Viplove Thakur (Cong) said the remarks display the mentality of the MP and demanded action against him as other members joined in the protest.
TDP member M Murli Mohan had created a flutter in the Lok Sabha when he asked women to dress in a dignified manner, triggering protests from women MPs, one of whom said he should be asked to leave the House.
As uproar continued over the TDP MP's remark, BJD members stood up to raise the issue of floods in Odisha and wanted to know what the Centre was doing to mitigate the sufferings of the people.
Amid din, Chairman Hamid Ansari adjourned the House for 15 minutes.
Normalcy was restored when the House reassembled. Earlier, Ansari said August 9 marks the 72nd anniversary of Quit India movement launched by Mahatma Gandhi.
Ansari paid solemn tributes to martyrs who laid down their lives and those who underwent immense suffering during the freedom struggle. The House then observed silence as a mark of respect to the martyrs.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionAs the Punjab and Uttar Pradesh elections loom larmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED