Uproar in LS as TDP MP Asks Women to 'Dress Dignifiedly'
A TDP member today created a flutter in the Lok Sabha when he asked women to dress in a dignified manner, triggering protests from women MPs one of whom said he should be asked to leave the House.
The issue cropped up during a debate on atrocities on women and children when the TDP member M Murli Mohan made the remark.
"...To uphold the tradition of our Indian culture, I would earnestly appeal to all my sisters, daughters and girls to dress dignifiedly," Mohan said.
Taking strong exception to his remarks, several women members including Supriya Sule (NCP) and Kumari Sushmita Dev (Congress) demanded that the remarks be expunged.
"He (Mohan) should be asked to leave the House...It (remarks) should be expunged," demanded Dev.
Hukum Singh, who was in the chair, tried to pacify the agitated members saying, "I will look into it. It is a very serious matter. I entirely agree with you...It should not have happened...Just hold on. The Chair will take the decision".
Commenting the reaction of women members to his dress comments, Mohan later told reporters that he would not mind withdrawing his statement if it had disturbed them.
"If they feel it is bad, then I don't mind withdrawing (my statement). It they are disturbed by the statement...I will apologise", he said.
Later, TMC MP Derek O Brien, when asked by reporters outside Parliament, that whether there was a need for leaders to be more careful while speaking on such issues.
"Of course, does not matter from which party he is. Even if he is from my party or any other party," he said.
Speaking further he said that some women members had felt upset by the remarks that were made in the house. "I think I spoke to some ladies in the Central Hall and they were very upset," he added.
- Encounter In Assam Was Fake, Says Top CRPF Officer
- Nepal Prime Minister Prachanda Resigns
- 'Enemy' Will Remember Pakistan's Response
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10