Uproar in LS as TDP MP Asks Women to 'Dress Dignifiedly'
A TDP member today created a flutter in the Lok Sabha when he asked women to dress in a dignified manner, triggering protests from women MPs one of whom said he should be asked to leave the House.
The issue cropped up during a debate on atrocities on women and children when the TDP member M Murli Mohan made the remark.
"...To uphold the tradition of our Indian culture, I would earnestly appeal to all my sisters, daughters and girls to dress dignifiedly," Mohan said.
Taking strong exception to his remarks, several women members including Supriya Sule (NCP) and Kumari Sushmita Dev (Congress) demanded that the remarks be expunged.
"He (Mohan) should be asked to leave the House...It (remarks) should be expunged," demanded Dev.
Hukum Singh, who was in the chair, tried to pacify the agitated members saying, "I will look into it. It is a very serious matter. I entirely agree with you...It should not have happened...Just hold on. The Chair will take the decision".
Commenting the reaction of women members to his dress comments, Mohan later told reporters that he would not mind withdrawing his statement if it had disturbed them.
"If they feel it is bad, then I don't mind withdrawing (my statement). It they are disturbed by the statement...I will apologise", he said.
Later, TMC MP Derek O Brien, when asked by reporters outside Parliament, that whether there was a need for leaders to be more careful while speaking on such issues.
"Of course, does not matter from which party he is. Even if he is from my party or any other party," he said.
Speaking further he said that some women members had felt upset by the remarks that were made in the house. "I think I spoke to some ladies in the Central Hall and they were very upset," he added.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBInterviewMargaret Alva is a former parliamentarian who hasmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Absconding UP BJP Leader Dayashankar Singh Arrested From Bihar
- Gurgaon: Thousands Stranded on NH-8 Due to Waterlogging, Heavy Rains
- Govt Lists GST Bill For Consideration in Rajya Sabha
- Two Police Officers Shot at in San Diego: Police Department
- Curfew, Restrictions Re-Imposed in Kashmir
- Indian National Accused of Drug Smuggling Not Executed in Indonesia: Swaraj
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- MPs Demand Govt Response on Bank Strike in Rajya Sabha
- Lack of Governance in Punjab: Amarinder Singh
- Taking Steps to Address Population Explosion: Govt to HC
- Rajnath Speaks to J&K CM, Discusses Kashmir Situation
- No Bilateral Meeting With Pak Leaders During Rajnath's Visit: MEA
- Singaporean Detained Over ISIS Activities
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED