Uproar in LS as TDP MP Asks Women to 'Dress Dignifiedly'
A TDP member today created a flutter in the Lok Sabha when he asked women to dress in a dignified manner, triggering protests from women MPs one of whom said he should be asked to leave the House.
The issue cropped up during a debate on atrocities on women and children when the TDP member M Murli Mohan made the remark.
"...To uphold the tradition of our Indian culture, I would earnestly appeal to all my sisters, daughters and girls to dress dignifiedly," Mohan said.
Taking strong exception to his remarks, several women members including Supriya Sule (NCP) and Kumari Sushmita Dev (Congress) demanded that the remarks be expunged.
"He (Mohan) should be asked to leave the House...It (remarks) should be expunged," demanded Dev.
Hukum Singh, who was in the chair, tried to pacify the agitated members saying, "I will look into it. It is a very serious matter. I entirely agree with you...It should not have happened...Just hold on. The Chair will take the decision".
Commenting the reaction of women members to his dress comments, Mohan later told reporters that he would not mind withdrawing his statement if it had disturbed them.
"If they feel it is bad, then I don't mind withdrawing (my statement). It they are disturbed by the statement...I will apologise", he said.
Later, TMC MP Derek O Brien, when asked by reporters outside Parliament, that whether there was a need for leaders to be more careful while speaking on such issues.
"Of course, does not matter from which party he is. Even if he is from my party or any other party," he said.
Speaking further he said that some women members had felt upset by the remarks that were made in the house. "I think I spoke to some ladies in the Central Hall and they were very upset," he added.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionAs the Punjab and Uttar Pradesh elections loom larmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED