Uproar in LS as TDP MP Asks Women to 'Dress Dignifiedly'
A TDP member today created a flutter in the Lok Sabha when he asked women to dress in a dignified manner, triggering protests from women MPs one of whom said he should be asked to leave the House.
The issue cropped up during a debate on atrocities on women and children when the TDP member M Murli Mohan made the remark.
"...To uphold the tradition of our Indian culture, I would earnestly appeal to all my sisters, daughters and girls to dress dignifiedly," Mohan said.
Taking strong exception to his remarks, several women members including Supriya Sule (NCP) and Kumari Sushmita Dev (Congress) demanded that the remarks be expunged.
"He (Mohan) should be asked to leave the House...It (remarks) should be expunged," demanded Dev.
Hukum Singh, who was in the chair, tried to pacify the agitated members saying, "I will look into it. It is a very serious matter. I entirely agree with you...It should not have happened...Just hold on. The Chair will take the decision".
Commenting the reaction of women members to his dress comments, Mohan later told reporters that he would not mind withdrawing his statement if it had disturbed them.
"If they feel it is bad, then I don't mind withdrawing (my statement). It they are disturbed by the statement...I will apologise", he said.
Later, TMC MP Derek O Brien, when asked by reporters outside Parliament, that whether there was a need for leaders to be more careful while speaking on such issues.
"Of course, does not matter from which party he is. Even if he is from my party or any other party," he said.
Speaking further he said that some women members had felt upset by the remarks that were made in the house. "I think I spoke to some ladies in the Central Hall and they were very upset," he added.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses