UP Police Officer Held Guilty of Raping Dalit Girl
A local court has held a deputy superintendent of police guilty of raping a Dalit girl in Kanpur two years ago.
According to a complaint lodged in 2012 by the victim's father with the police, Deputy SP Amarjeet Shahi during his posting in Kanpur had lured his daughter and raped her.
Shahi was suspended with immediate effect after the incident. He was lodged in jail for 18 months and later released on bail.
The accused has been held guilty on charges of abduction and rape under SC and SC Act. The court would pronounce the quantum of sentence on August 16, the prosecution said.
Later outside the court, the victim and her family members raised slogans against the accused and demanded a death penalty for him.
- Aziz Says 'Insufficient Evidence' On Indian Spy, Pak Denies
- Triple Talaq 'Cruel' And 'Most Demeaning', Says Allahabad HC
- Stranded Tourists On Andaman & Nicobar Islands Safe: Rajnath Singh
- 'Devil Of The Year': How Twitter Is Reacting To Latest TIME Magazine Cover
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Modi Is Now Seen As Messiah Of Poor And Honest: BJP
- Old Notes Invalid For Rail, Metro, Bus Tickets From Dec 10
- India To Become 'Major Defence Partner' Of US
- Churning On In AIADMK Over Who Will Step Into Amma's Shoes
- Demonetisation Is An 'Effective Step' In Curbing Corruption, Says Arvind Panagaria
- PM Singularly Responsible For Economic Mess: CPI(M)
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED