UP Floods Toll Rises to 63
The toll in Uttar Pradesh floods today increased to 63, with reports of 15 more deaths in the state where several rivers breached their embankments, making the situation grim in flood-affected areas.
While eight persons died in Bahraich district, three each in Shravasti and Balrampur and one in Lakhimpur were killed due to flood-related incidents in past 24 hours taking the toll to 63, official sources said.
State Irrigation Minister Shivpal Yadav today did aerial survey in flood-affected areas in Bahraich, Shravasti and Balrampur districts and has issued directives to the officials.
More than three lakh population in 1,206 hamlets of 220 villages were affected due to flood in Bahraich district where relief and rescue work is being carried out by NDRF, PAC, SSB, police, revenue employees and voluntary organisations, a report from Bahraich said.
In Shravasti, around 60,000 people in more than 100 villages of Bhinga and Ikauna tehsils are affected due to floods, of them more than 28,000 people have been moved to safe places, official sources said.
According to report from Lakhimpur, affect of flood continues in Nighasan teshil due to Mohana river and in Dhaurahra tehsil due to Ghaghra river.
Though water has receded it is posing threat of breach alongside the river at a number of places.
Sub divisional magistrate, Dhaurahra, Nagendra Singh said following possibility of breach, NDRF, PAC and steamers have been deployed.
He said that body of a woman, who drowned in flood water, has been recovered.
Report from Azamgarh said that Ghaghra was playing havoc and around 60,000 people in 80 villages of Sagdi tehsil were affected by flood.
Pressure was increasing on Mahula-Garhwal checkdam and there was a breach near Parsia village.
Executive engineer, flood division, Pradeep Kumar said though the breach has been repaired, but the threat was not over.
According to report from Balrampur district water has receded in Tulsipur and Balrampur tehsils, but was increasing in Utraula.
Balrampur-Tulsipur and Balrampur-Utraula routes have been closed.
Three boys drowned in Utraula of which body of one has been fished out.
Report from Barabanki said that 95,000 people were affected in 118 villages of different tehsils.
Ghaghra was still flowing more than one meter above the danger mark at Elgin Bridge.
District Magistrate Yogeshwar Ram Mishra said in the wake of increasing pressure on checkdams, directives have been issued for regular patrolling for the safety of families.
He said that 12 medical teams and four ambulances have been deployed for treatment of people in flood-affected areas.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'