UP Community Panchayat Bans Jeans, Mobiles for Girls
A community panchayat has banned girls from wearing jeans and keeping mobile phones claiming that they were having a "bad" effect on them and were responsible for eve-teasing incidents.
The panchayat of Gujjar community was held at Jadwad village yesterday.
It passed the diktat banning wearing of jeans and use of mobile phones by unmarried girl. The panchayat also claimed that eve-teasing incidents had increased due to "objectionable" clothes worn by girls.
It also asked the community people not to have disc jockey during wedding functions.
Village head Ashok Kumar was among those present at the meeting.
Such diktats have been issued in the past by Khap panchayats or caste councils in UP and Harayana, drawing flak from several quarters.
FROM OUTLOOKMaharashtraNew legislation and dissidence undermine the partys support base at the zilla parishad and panchayat levels...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReportageThe Doongra Dhanna village is no more than four kimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPrime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday describedmore from WIRES>>>
- Indian Army Launched Surgical Strikes in PoK
- PM Chairs CCS Meeting to Review Situation Along LoC
- Meeting on Most Favoured Nation Status to Pakistan Postponed
- Ceasefire Violations Along LoC in Naugam Sector, Poonch
- CBSE Likely to Make Class 10 Board Exams Compulsory From 2018
- Three Injured in Shooting at Elementary School in US, Suspect in Custody: Police
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Congress Congratulates Army on Anti-Terror Surgical Strikes
- Surgical Strike: 7 Terror Launch Pads Targeted, Heliborne, Ground Forces Used
- Naxal Killed in Face-Off With Police in Chhattisgarh
- Rahul Gandhi Flays RSS, Says Its Trying to 'Divide India'
- SC Reserves Order on Petitions to Cancel Shahahbuddin's Bail
- Now, Atif Aslam's Gurgaon Concert Scrapped
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED