UP Community Panchayat Bans Jeans, Mobiles for Girls
A community panchayat has banned girls from wearing jeans and keeping mobile phones claiming that they were having a "bad" effect on them and were responsible for eve-teasing incidents.
The panchayat of Gujjar community was held at Jadwad village yesterday.
It passed the diktat banning wearing of jeans and use of mobile phones by unmarried girl. The panchayat also claimed that eve-teasing incidents had increased due to "objectionable" clothes worn by girls.
It also asked the community people not to have disc jockey during wedding functions.
Village head Ashok Kumar was among those present at the meeting.
Such diktats have been issued in the past by Khap panchayats or caste councils in UP and Harayana, drawing flak from several quarters.
FROM OUTLOOKMaharashtraNew legislation and dissidence undermine the partys support base at the zilla parishad and panchayat levels...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReportageThe Doongra Dhanna village is no more than four kimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPrime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday describedmore from WIRES>>>
- France: Two Attackers Slay Priest in Normandy Church Before Being Shot Dead
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas Antrix Deal: Tribunal Rules Against Indian Govt
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Mass Attack Bid Foiled in Bangladesh, Nine Militants Killed
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- PM Providing Security to 'Friend' Nita, What About Delhi Women?: Kejriwal
- Myntra Buys Jabong for $70 Million From Global Fashion Group
- Graft Case: Bail to Kejriwal's Ex-Principal Secy Rajendra
- TN: Suspended DMK Leader Joins AIADMK
- 'Arbitrariness' by CBFC in Certifying Films, Alleges Swapan Dasgupta
- We 'Wasted' 25 Years in Alliance With BJP: Uddhav Thackeray
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED