UN Council Calls Foley Murder 'Heinous and Cowardly'
The UN Security Council has strongly condemned the "heinous and cowardly" murder of journalist James Foley by Islamic State militants and called for the immediate release of all hostages.
In a unanimous statement released yesterday, the 15-member council said the murder "demonstrates the brutality of ISIL," the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which has renamed itself Islamic State.
"The members of the Security Council stressed that ISIL must be defeated and the intolerance, violence and hatred it espouses must be stamped out," it said.
A video of Foley's beheading was posted online on Tuesday by IS, a jihadist group operating in Iraq and Syria, prompting global condemnation.
The 40-year-old journalist had been reporting in Syria when he was abducted in November 2012.
The council said those responsible should be brought to justice and called on all countries to cooperate with the United States to that end.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday also strongly condemned the murder, describing it as an "abominable crime that underscores the campaign of terror that ISIL continues to wage against the people of Iraq and Syria.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events